Has anyone tried Winganon lately?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Love Them Cats, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Has anyone tried Winganon lately?

We are going there tonight and was wondering if anyone was having any luck there?

I'm not sure where we are going to fish yet, but I thought we'd try a few places before we found a place to spend the night?

This is the first time I've fished that area in 20 some years, so I don't know what to expect?

I tried there a few days (day time) ago and caught a couple (real) small channel, but this time we are going at night, so I don't know what we'll find?

Has anyone had any luck in this area lately?

The area we are going to try is the East dock (I think) and a few areas around there?

Ken

2. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its been a while since ive been out there but right were the bridge is is some extremely deep water. ive been told thats a place to throw out a hayhook and a whole ham for the big one. if you have a boat i would stay around the bridge and the northern side of the lake or where the verdigris comes into the lake. come morning chris glass should be around and he knows alot about that area. good luck..

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't really fish that area, but it a good place to catch fish year round. Oolagah is a big 30,000 acre North, South lake. Those dang waves build up depending on wind direction and make for sometimes tough fishing if your in a smaller boat....but fishing the wind is very productive also. Oolagah is a huge lake and Winganon bridge is almost in the middle of the lake. The whole lake necks down to only the river channel. This is the biggest funnel for fish to travel that you will see on any lake in Oklahoma. I personally think it would be best during the prespawn as fish migrate upstream but there's rip rap covering both side of the lake from the bridge to the East and West shores. You couple this with windy conditions and I would fish whichever side the wind is blowing towards the shore. It's a popular place for all fish so there will be lots of smaller fish along with bigger ones. Size your bait bigger than normal to help keep the smaller fish away. Good luck and let us know how ya do.

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i hunt nowata couty near there never fished there please us now how it goes im very intrested in that area the river i hunt on runs right in to oolagha lake and i allways see limb lines in the water during hunting season

5. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i dont think he really did that. i think that was an old mans phrase he was using to emphasize BIG. he also told me a spot on keystone thats very similar. he did tell me that he has lost surf rods there because they snapped due to very hard violent strikes. if it wasnt illegal id love to try the winch thing out. you know its been done. or for that matter one of the big cranes on any of the major dams around here. whoa, thats big. a man can dream cant he. :lol:

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    lol hay hook and spiral cut ham gotta love the theatrics

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I though you were supposed to use a whole chicken, not a ham. No wonder I can't catch nothin!!!

lol

:tounge_out:

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Man those hay hooks don't have a sharp enough point. Now just get yourself a 20/0 treble hook and place a whole chicken on each hook with the head cut off for a good blood trail. That will bring in those monster's.:tounge_out: :lol: :cool2: Oh and make sure your fishing at the dam those flatheads are as big as cars. Better have 1000 pound test or a 10,000 pound winch on the end of the hook.

9. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Well, we gave it a try last night and didn't do much good?
    About all we caught were perch, but we did catch I think one small cat (6 inches or so).

We don't have a boat, so we have to fish from the bank.

We tried the East boat ramp and a few areas around there on both sides of the road.

We got there around 3:30 pm and fished the area until around 10 pm, then we gave up and went to Bernice.

There we caught 5 that were between 2 - 4 pounds.

We didn't try the bridge area this time, but we might try it later.

Ken

10. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats what im talking about. enough to eat three men standing side by side. good times good times. :cool2: but on a serious note sounds like you got some good eatin size fish when all said and done. im sure that every nook and cranny in that area has a catfish hanging in it. as old and debris filled as that north side is.