Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am an engineer. My head never stops working. I got some ideas the other day on how to make some hooks that may increase the hook gap in the bait fish. I made them out of clothes hangers and heated the metal to make it harder. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make their own hooks or do this. Let me know.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support guys. I wasn't sure how this idea would go over. I will post some pictures and the fish I catch if they do indeed work. I am pretty excited to get out there and try them out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i make my own lunch and breakfast every evening for the next day at work and i consider that an accomplishment. So to answer the question no. I did onetime however get really frustrated when i was young and throw rocks at fish in the stream, it didn't work and now i know how the cavemen must have felt. good luck with your hooks. PS the fish are still mockin me and i'm still loookin for just the right rock and when i do.... watch out fish!

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
When I was in grade school, a friend and I lost all our hooks to snags. We went to the shop on the farm and made hooks outa coat hanger, we didn't have any barb on them, so we lost about all the fish. Then we got pitch forks and tried to spear carp. I'd be interested in seeing how your hooks work, and how you make the barb.

I modified some 4/0 long shank hooks to give me better hook up before I started using circle hooks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was in grade school, a friend and I lost all our hooks to snags. We went to the shop on the farm and made hooks outa coat hanger, we didn't have any barb on them, so we lost about all the fish. Then we got pitch forks and tried to spear carp. I'd be interested in seeing how your hooks work, and how you make the barb.

I modified some 4/0 long shank hooks to give me better hook up before I started using circle hooks.

The barbs are definitely the hardest part. I haven't had the chance to try the hooks out yet, but what I have been doing is sanding down an area to bare metal and then soldering a beed onto the hook. Then I sanded it down to be a barb. I am not sure how it will work. It is definitely something that I will have to improve. Basically what I am try to accomplish with these hooks is just a larger gab between the bait and hook to get a better land ratio. I have been using these 5/0 circle hooks which just aren't suitable for larger bait and it is too much of a hassle to drive to the place with bigger hooks (bass pro shop). I will try to take a picture of my hooks and upload them to get some opinions.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The barbs are definitely the hardest part. I haven't had the chance to try the hooks out yet, but what I have been doing is sanding down an area to bare metal and then soldering a beed onto the hook. Then I sanded it down to be a barb. I am not sure how it will work. It is definitely something that I will have to improve. Basically what I am try to accomplish with these hooks is just a larger gab between the bait and hook to get a better land ratio. I have been using these 5/0 circle hooks which just aren't suitable for larger bait and it is too much of a hassle to drive to the place with bigger hooks (bass pro shop). I will try to take a picture of my hooks and upload them to get some opinions.

I ended up sharpening up some steel wire and soldering that to the hooks for barbs. I may try them out tonight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The metal used in a coat hanger has insufficient carbon content to harden the hooks. Your best bet would be to obtain some welding rod for tool steel in the dia you desire, make the barb by gouging it with a really sharp chisel, bend to the desired shape and oil harden it with a torch and oil used for heat treating.

But before I did any of that, I would go online and buy the hooks you want.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Last year I had a 50 pack of 7/0 J hooks I wasn't using. So I modified them into an offset circle. Caught a 10lb channel on them and hooked him right in the corner of the mouth. I still use them when low on my other circles. Even passed some out to some of the guys I fished with last year... I had pictures of them on here last year laying beside regular circles for comparison. I'll have to see if I can find the pictures on one of my discs. If not I'll take new pictures and post them... Well I'm in luck. They were still on here... In the pictures from left to right, are 1 standard J hook, 2 modified hooks in the center, then far right 1 standard circle hook... Also a picture of the 1st Channel Cat I caught with them. Now you have me on the idea of heating them. I'm wondering if I heated them after I bent them if it would make them harder and stronger? Any input?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
When I was a kid I made some out of paper clips and coat hangers and crap. Mostly it was for hanging a piece of bait from to get a crawdad to come out from under a rock and grab though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No, I never tried making my own hooks.
Just like I never tried making my own stink bait, carving my own styrofoam corks, or making my own rod and reel.

Why bother?

There are companies who spend millions on research and development to make the best gear possible. WTH would I waste my time bending coat hangers or paper clips?

You say you don't have time to drive to Bass Pro. Dude, you're on a computer- buy some decent hooks online. You're gonna hate yourself if you hook that once in a lifetime fish and it hangs its coat on your coat hanger and leaves town.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No, I never tried making my own hooks.
Just like I never tried making my own stink bait, carving my own styrofoam corks, or making my own rod and reel.

Why bother?

There are companies who spend millions on research and development to make the best gear possible. WTH would I waste my time bending coat hangers or paper clips?

You say you don't have time to drive to Bass Pro. Dude, you're on a computer- buy some decent hooks online. You're gonna hate yourself if you hook that once in a lifetime fish and it hangs its coat on your coat hanger and leaves town.
i agree, but hell, its more fun catching something with something you made with your own hands.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Relax THAD. The whole reason I was trying to make the hooks is because I can't find any that look like the hooks I want. It was an experiment and they don't take long to make. I caught an 8lb channel on one last night but the hook was bent a bit doing that. For sh!ts and giggles I am going to make more and try out different designs. I was looking for constructive criticism, not someone to tell me why I shouldn't make them in the first place. When I perfect the design I will repost this thread. Everyone else besides THAD, thank you for your advice. THAD feel free to fish your own way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Relax THAD. The whole reason I was trying to make the hooks is because I can't find any that look like the hooks I want. It was an experiment and they don't take long to make. I caught an 8lb channel on one last night but the hook was bent a bit doing that. For sh!ts and giggles I am going to make more and try out different designs. I was looking for constructive criticism, not someone to tell me why I shouldn't make them in the first place. When I perfect the design I will repost this thread. Everyone else besides THAD, thank you for your advice. THAD feel free to fish your own way.
It wasn't a personal attack. Like I said, I would just hate to see you lose an epic cat because you used a coat hanger instead of a tempered steel hook.

You asked a question, I answered it.
I didn't tell you that you shouldn't do what you want to, I answered the question why I didn't make my own hooks.

That was the question, wasn't it?

I'm sorry if I offended you or hurt your feelings.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It wasn't a personal attack. Like I said, I would just hate to see you lose an epic cat because you used a coat hanger instead of a tempered steel hook.

You asked a question, I answered it.
I didn't tell you that you shouldn't do what you want to, I answered the question why I didn't make my own hooks.

That was the question, wasn't it?

I'm sorry if I offended you or hurt your feelings.

It is alright. You were right the hanger isn't going to cut it since it is probably made from brass. However, I am going to try welding wire instead.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like to piddle, too but hook manufacturing technology has gone way past anything you could do at home. Why not try to spin your own Dyneema and make your own line? Or bust out the IM8 and make your own rods?
I'd love to have the time to try and make my own pole, unfortunately i work 60 hrs a week and have a wife and kid. I did however use to tie my own flys and catch fish on them and always had a good feeling catching something with a fly that i tied by hand. Unfortunately i dont have time to do that either, but always felt good doing it. Anyhow, more power to you Rob, good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.