Has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish Mike1969, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Catfish Mike1969

Catfish Mike1969 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I may be going out for my first flat head trip-----I will be fishing from a boat at night-----I do not have time to get gills may use chicken livers shrimp or gobs of worms on the hook-----I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put chum in the water? Like tuna or sardines or something of that nature, something oily and smells good to the catfish-----Was just a tought. Mike

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site Mike! If you are going to target Flatheads you would stand a better chance with live bait, that's what Flats prefer. Not saying they can't be caught without it just that your chances are better.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    if ya chum the water,you will bring in the channels,maybe small flats.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree that your baits will produce more channels than flatheads.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You are not going to catch many if any flats on chicken livers or shrimp, you may catch a few on crawlers...If nothing else buy some live goldfish.

Also right now is not really the best time for your first flathead trip, alot of the flats are more interested in spawning right now, rather than feeding.

They wont all spawn at the same time however,

Towards the end of July the action should pick up considerably.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yes. Livebait is the ticket for the Flatheads. Bluegills, Hybrid Sunfish, Goldfish, Carp, Bullheads, Shad, Herring, etc. Channels will usually come to the chum and the Blues will to.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

8. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    it could help, ive read the other day that chumming for bigger flats works in the RIGHT SCENARIOS, however, thats just text in a magazine. not exactly first hand experience.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Flats most of the time prefer live bait but I have heard of some being caught on worms and cut shad before. Also like previously discussed, they are in spawn right now and will be harder to get them to bite than normal.

Chumming is usually done for channels and blues however if you chum with good fish oil type products there is no telling what you might draw in. Most active predator type fish will come to any type of fishy oily chum.

With the scenario that you have implied that you are going to use I feel that you will be better off targeting channels.

I have however heard of cats being taken with canned mackrel or canned salmon.

11. Catfish Mike1969

Catfish Mike1969 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would just like to say thanks for the helpful info----I live in NW Ohio and fish for walleye alot. Been seeing post and reports of some nice flats being caught here and there close to where I live----I got all gun hoe last night and decided to go------However the launch is about 15 miles from where I live and I didnt get off work till 7pm-----Got to the launch at 10pm sign says park closes at 11pm----lol----Figures-----So rather then launch the boat and all that goes with it---I fished from shore and didnt get a single bite-----All I had for bait was worms and Berkley power in Liver.

I have caught nice channels before up to 10 pounds---When I was little and we lived in Macon Georgia for a spell on Lake St Clare---My grandma left a pole sitting on the dock she had baited it with a stump grub---When I got home from school I found the pole laying there and began to reel it in----It had a 10 pound blue channel catfish on it and yes it was blue and yes that sucker fought----That was many years ago and still a fond memory of mine----I think my grandma left the pole there on purpose so I would find it---lol

Today as stated I fish for walleye on Erie and bass when possible but am gonna give this flat fishing a serious try and see what happens again thank you all for the info and I will keep informed of my success or failure.

Mike

12. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    You'll attract mostly channels when you place a chum slick out. If you catch anything while using worm or chicken liver use it for bait. To big to put on hook, filet it and split the tail section a tad and hook the meaty end, if there is current it will flutter and move about, it has at time attracted flatheads

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Welcome tp BOC Mike .... my suggestion would be to take along a light tackle outfit with you and while you are fishing for cats with one outfit catch yourself a few gills or other small fish for bait with the other ... You might not catch as many as you would with a cast net ... but you should be able to get enough to bait up a few times...... Garry-

14. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I was thinking the same thing Garry. I always catch my gills in the same area right before dark. I use waxworms. They are cheap and they live a long time.

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    most of the time when you see a sign that says park closes at 11,means all other activities but fishing.soyou should be fine being out after 11 there.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome to the site bro....rollo

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    So does anyone plan on trying the mackrel technique? It is very interesting and could prove the next best thing........................................or not

18. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    probably stick with the time tested traditional baits

19. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    Not at the Clearfork Lake here in central Ohio. I done just that and discovered when I was leaving they had placed a cable across the entrance to the parking area. Had to wait till 8 in the morning to leave, really didn't mind waiting just keep on fishing but glad that I did not have to work and the kids did not have to go to school.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Lots of good info so far. Welcome to the BOC from KY!!!