Has anyone tried this setup for catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Mar 24, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am going to start using 20 lb Berkley Big Game mono with the 20lb green color as the leader. I think it is a low vis green. Has anyone had any success with this setup?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Big Game is good stuff. My cat reels are full of 15 pound green, and I love it.

3. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm using 50 lb flourescent Berkley Big Game with leaders of the 30 lb clear green Big Game After a big fish or a hang up I change the leader out and check the line for abrasion. I like the flourescent green because it is easy for me to see in daylight, and really glows with black light at night

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Trent, If you are going to use 20# line for both,why use a leader and have the two extra knots? I don't think catfish care to much about line color, besides if your fishing at night the water is pretty darn dark down there, you could use white line and they still couldn't see it. I like to use wire leaders, I still have only one knot. If I'm using straight line, then I use a split shot to control the sliding sinker. just something to think about. :)

5. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    I used to use splitshots,.. Until the line broke right where the splitshot was. The splitshot seems to flaten the line right where you put it on. I prefer the extra knots to the splitshot.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i like berkley 20 lb big game or what ever i just got a spool yetsterday 20lb for 7.00 675 yards not bad, my uncle caught a 60+ shovel on 20 lb this stuff it works. i used to use split shots to adjust sinkers, but that makes a weak spot in ur line i use rubber bands now... its better. :) btw i dont use leaders unless P-A-Y-L-A-K-I-N. lol

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Trent the last couple of years I experimented with different color leaders. The low vis green line will work just fine...however, I came to the conclusion that a cat doesn't give a darn what color your line or hook is as long as there is something on the end that they want to eat!;)

8. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    it will work great i used 20# big game all last year on one pole and power pro on another pole. i prefer the big game 10 to 1. only i just slide a egg sinker over my line and tie a hook on. after i cast and line settles i let out a little line to let the bait away from the sinker.

9. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    have Not Tryed It But I Will

10. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I just use a three way swivel mostly, but i use at least 40 lb line mono or braided line with a light drop line to the sinker in case I get hung up I only lose the sinker. I`m not too bright, so I like to keep it simple.
    I also mostly drift fish, so this helps me.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm with NetManJack. They don't care about color. Just as long as you can see it. I don't use heavy line, (40-50#) fish over 100# are landed all the time with 20# test and besides heavy line is hell to break when you get hung up.

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    if you are using 20 # mainline your leader should be twice that making it 40 #. the reason being is your leader is the most likely part of your line to come into contact with something that can break your line such as logs, rocks,etc. when i first started fishing i used all kinds of stuff for leaders and lost alot of fish. sure people catch big fish on light line all the time but that is mostly due to luck. why take chances. i want to be prepared for THE BIG ONE at all times. take my advice and get some heavier line for leader material. especially if you fish for flats alot.

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    To stop the sinker from sliding on main line ,I tie a bobber stop knot and us a bead btw hookand sinker. Knots made of heavy mono or large dameter string hold well and i can adjust the length .
    look in library for different knots to try .

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do keep a spool of 50# in my box for leaders when fishing in a lot of junk. You are right! However, I mostly fish a fast river where all the rocks are pretty smooth and all the trees get washed away. Average depth is only 2'7". I used to lose them because of broken hooks until I went to big eye nickle hooks. Haven't lost one since. When fishing Flatheads I back my drag all the way off and gradually increase it as I fight the fish.