Has anyone tried the Chippewa or Red Cedar?

Discussion in 'WISCONSIN RIVER TALK' started by way west, Jun 2, 2009.

1. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Has anyone been fishing on the Red Cedar or Chippewa rivers? Any luck?

2. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'll answer my own question, in part. Last week I did some scouting on the Red Cedar River where it empties into Lake Menomin. I marked some fish around the pilings beneath I-94 and the railroad bridge but couldn't coax them into biting. Whether it was the cold front, the wrong bait or ineptitude I can't say. The fish marked may not have even been cats for that matter.

I was going to go back the following evening to try it again but had a little mishap that will have me sidelined for a bit. I slipped and impaled my right hand on a wrought iron fence. I wound up having surgery and have a bandage on my hand the size of a softball. Long story short, it will be a couple of weeks before I can get back on the water. When I do I'll pass along an update. I also plan to work the area below the Lake Menomin dam.

\{A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman}

3. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    This afternoon I planned to motor down the lower stretch of the Red Cedar River and check out the Chippewa River. I fished a few holes on the way down and picked up 3 channel cats. There were so many good looking spots on the Red Cedar that I didn't make it as far as the Chippewa. I got a late start and just plain ran out of time.

4. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I took the Mrs. out catfishing on the Red Cedar River. It was her first time chasing cats. I lost several due to a sticking drag but altogether we had a good day. We came home with a half dozen channel cats. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting the wife out fishing again.

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman

5. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I took one of my friends fishing on the Red Cedar on Wednesday afternoon. The water was up a little bit but not enough to make travelling easier. My prop is really getting chewed up from fishing that stretch. The river is too shallow to motor down to the Chippewa and back to the landing at Y. This is the first time I've been skunked on that stretch of river. This trip was pretty hard on tackle. My buddy lost five of my rigs and screwed up one of my reels. I managed to lose a rig and 20 yards of 80 lb Power Pro up in a tree. My youngest daughter wants me to take her fishing tomorrow. Looks like it should be a nice day for it.

6. knockdownducks

knockdownducks New Member

State:
    La Crosse, Wisc
    should be a good day im heading back home in tthe morning got an order coming from team catfish , and im getting a couple more poles, the kids are pumped to get back to wisconsin.i miss it here in michigan but its a bad state of depression......cant wait for this weekend should be a hoot anyone get a time yet???

7. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I should be getting into LaCrosse between 7:30 & 8 pm. Where do you want to meet up?

8. knockdownducks

State:
    La Crosse, Wisc
    em all nighter yes how long you going to stay you guys camping out somewheres

9. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    It turns out I can get down to LaCrosse earlier if need be. Hadn't given any thought to camping out. What are your plans? I'm following you.

10. knockdownducks

State:
    La Crosse, Wisc
    well do you want to make it a long or short one i usually been going about 12 or 2 in the morning, you will catch some then but the good bite is after 2 a.m. but thats cool hows bout i will be launching around 9 give an hour or so from dresbach i wont go in till 6 or 7 ...

11. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Your usual scedule works for me. If we fish midnight to 6 or 7 that would give us a chance to catch a little shut-eye before we hit the water. Imagine your kids could stand some sleep before starting out too. I would be able to spend a little time with my grandkids in LaCrescent then too. Are any of the other LaCrosse BOC boys planning to go?

A steady job and the love of a good woman have been the ruination of many a good fisherman

12. knockdownducks

State:
    La Crosse, Wisc
    i hope so i went and got stocked up i hope my order from team catfish comes in before then. yeah midnight would be great, i figured out the slot that i was missing they were closing the gates down in the night so the current would slow down thats why i wasnt getting any ...... no current........ i will pm my celly phone number and i will be at the dresbach launch at 12 on friday see ya there hopefully wisc and them come along.

13. wisco_fisher

wisco_fisher New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Oh, now I read this thread. Yeah we will be out, and up there. If it is slow there is a nice spot down near where they park the queen/riverside (not too far of a cruise). Might be worth checking depending on how we all do. We will probably head out around 6 or so, catch some sunnies and go for flats and meet you all up there around midnight.

14. knockdownducks

State:
    La Crosse, Wisc
    cool catch me a couple ill trade for a pinch of chew lol

15. skuzzypuddle

skuzzypuddle New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    hey west. i live in chetek so the big chip is my bread and butter. i also fish the flambeu river often enuff to. ive never heard of any cats in the red cedar up here. its more of a small stream this far north.

16. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I don't know how the catfishing is upstream from Tainter Lake. I haven't fished that part of the Red Cedar. How is the catting up on your end of the Chippewa? I know they catch some nice ones on Wissota.

I'll have to get you hooked up with those river rats down in the LaCrosse area. They're a great bunch of guys and they're doing a good job of keeping the cats from overpopulating that stretch of the Mississippi.
    Buck

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  17. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    After the physical therapist gets my back straightened out tomorrow morning I'm taking my lab pup, Sambo, and going fishing. I have to watch him because he has developed a taste for dip bait. Hope he isn't getting addicted to the stuff.

Go ahead and laugh but it always starts out innocently enough; a lick here and a lick there----before you know it you have a two tub a day Secret 7 habit and a monkey on your back!:eek:oooh:

18. knockdownducks

State:
    La Crosse, Wisc
    lol yes it is something to watch for the twiching the itching the scratching they got to get a fix my chessie, lab mix brit just got out of rehab she skipped past the light stuff and went in head first she wasnt the same after we had to have an intervention.....shes ok now but we have to keep the stuff locked up..

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
  19. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm not so sure you and I shouldn't be locked up somewhere.

20. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The Mrs. and I went down the Red Cedar yesterday. We only had three bites. We missed the hook up on one and the other two spit the hook halfway to the boat. To top that all off I was standing on the trailer tongue hooking the winch strap to the boat when I lost my footing. I landed in the river and hit my head on a big rock. The wife had to drive home because the tweety birds were singing to me. Lucky for me I landed on my head. I could have gotten hurt.:eek:oooh: