has anyone tried one of these (castnet thrower)?

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by pphillips, Jan 8, 2008.

1. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    i rec'd a bass pro catalog in the mail, & in the section w/castnets is a Netmaster Cast Net Thrower. the bass pro shop here doesnt have any in stock so i couldnt look at the package to see how it works. has anyone tried one of these? are they easy to use? how do you use it? i would appreciate any info you may have.

2. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I was wondering that myself. Apparantly you just lay the net in the holder and throw, It spreads out the net when you realse it. It looks like a good idea but I do pretty well with the 5' one I have. Good luck. If Bass Pro sells it, it must be good.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Lynn,
    Walmart also has one called the EZ throw net or similar to that name. It has a ring at the top that helps you throw the net. It also comes with a instructional video that takes you step by step how to learn to properly throw the net. I started with one of these and found them to work very well. I believe they are about $30.00. rspd507

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Lynn, welcome to the BOC/SOC best catfishing site on the web. Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

5. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I saw several guys this past summer using them for shad.I thought about buying one but I have gotten to used to the tradional one.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I throw a regular cast net. I was in RiverRats boat once and he had the EZTHROW(??) version with some sort of ring on top. I hated it, whacked me on the hand a few times and just made things more difficult overall.

With just a bit of practice I think anyone can learn to throw a regular castnet. Take the time to learn and you will have an endless selection of nets from various companies and can also buy the better-quality nets and they don't come with no plastic ring thingy to my knowledge.:wink:

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If you go to youtube.com and search cast nets there are instructional videos. Find the one from Calsua nets, They make it easy. Watch the video with the net in hand and follow the steps. Opens every time with little effort.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree on the youtube thing, i watched a few videos and practiced. Got it down pretty good

9. darkthirty

darkthirty New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    just stick to a 5' or 6' foot net and you will a pro in a week or so.

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have one of those EZ throw nets I got from wallmart..I have had it for 4 years now and I love it.. my brother has a regular throw net that he has hanging on his arm and part he holds in his teeth:eek:oooh: The ez throw net is simple..the material it is made from is easy to repair. I get mine to open better than my brother can his and I can pull it in and throw it out quicker than he can his regular cast net.

11. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    not to sure if it works sounds good. I got use to my 5 ft i can throw it like a pro now and so will u:big_smile:

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lynn, the smaller the net the easier it will be to throw.Experience here I can now throw mos nets upto 7-8ft but give me my 4ft and I dont even have to try.. or think bout it.Been throwing fer 3 years now....
    The little net I can stick 98% of the time the larger about 60%......

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, once you learn how to throw a "regular" net, the ring things drive you NUTS. A girl that worked for me wanted to learn to throw a net, so I brought mine into work and on her break I showed her how to throw it for a couple of minutes. I just left the net in the shop and she would take it out into the parking lot at lunch and on her breaks and practice. By the end of the week she was throwing a 5' net like a pro. I brought in my 8' net the next week and she could get it to open as well (not bad, considering she was only about 5'4" and the net is 3' taller than her) as I can. I finally asked her why she wanted to learn so bad since she didn't talk about fishing much and she said it was because her husband bought one, tried it for a couple of days and declared it was "impossible" to throw:smile2: She spent all last summer making fun of him because she could throw "his" net and he still couldn't figure it out. Long story short, get someone to show you a couple of times (the videos are good, but seeing someone in person who can answer questions is better) and you'll have it down in no time. Good Luck!

Branden

14. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    thanks everyone for all the help! i didnt know about youtube--who'd a-thunk it. ive seen the nets w/ring at top in walmart, but i didnt understand how that little ring would keep my net from being a giant wad. im gonna try it though. i would still like to see how that tray thing works. but i'd rather see it done b4 i buy one.

15. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    welcome Lynn your now a member of the best site i know of,im still learnin to throw a net an ive been doing it for years,just get ya one and start throwin,youll get the hang of it..

16. Baitcutter

Baitcutter New Member

State:
    VA
    Being one of the worlds worst castnet throwers, I bought one of the Perfect Circle rings from Cabelas and attached it to my 6' net. In a short while I was getting decent casts and it is easy to throw from the bow of the boat as you hold the net at waist level and just throw it like a Frisbee. Sure has made catching bait a lot easier for me.

17. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    lynn try a smaller size net first like maybe a 3 footer learn with it then move up to a bgger one thats what i did it really helped:wink: