Has Anyone Seen a Teardrop Camper

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fish, Nov 11, 2005.

1. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy and I have been looking at these little Teardrop Campers for a while now and we just love them. These little campers are 4 or 5 feet wide and 8 feet long and have a full kitchen in a hatch in back. The 5 feet wide one has a Queen size bed and will sleep two very comfortably. The little camper weighs between 500 and 1000 pounds which can be pulled by a motorcycle or small car such as a VW. This sure beats a tent or big camper for all the gatherings. Just hook on and go.

We have been looking at different sites learning how to build one. Has anyone seen one of these little campers or built one?

Attached Files:

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim,
    I have seen a couple, and I think you are right, just the thing for a gathering.

Only downside I saw was you can't stand up in em, but I can't stand up in my tent or truck either.

If you want some free plans to look over, give me a yell, I have a PDF file from an old mechanix illustrated I can send you.

I was thinking of doing one on a 4x8 trailer, you can get the trailer for around 250-300 bucks or so, then build the body on it (well, you could, I think it's out of my skill range)

Dave

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Dave, I really appreciate your reply and your offer of the plans but we have that file also. If you want to build one I would sure be happy to help you in any way I can. If nothing else I can talk you through it, I know for a fact you can do it. There are a bunch of folks who have built them even a feller with one arm and several ladies.

From what I am reading, the 4 foot camper is just too narrow for two people, that is why Judy and I are thinking about the 5 foot one. We saw one several weeks ago and talked to the young couple and they built theirs and they had never done one before. It looked like a factory build.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I have seen a couple of those too. They are Very neat and they do look fairly easy to build.

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Those are cool little campers. Perfect thing for my younger days are a quick trip. I would need something a little bigger, more head room. My back doesn't bend well these days and my head can't take many more bumps. LOL.
    I know they cost more but have you looked into a pop up camper that folds out with bed on each end and the middle has enough room to stand, change clothes etc. Plus a two burner stove, small sink and little refrigerator for drinks lunch meat. .
    I got a buddy who bought an old one. I think its 1975 model. paid $200. He then had the mattress recovered with a water proof material, put in a new Floor, ripped out all the table cabinet etc. wood work and re built it with oak. Put a small ac unit in a out of way spot on floor. Re wired the whole thing for ac-dc and added two batteries and a little generator that hooks on back. Then he had a new canvas top made for it. All he did on that was send
    the serial number to a camper place and they had one made for him that fit perfect.
    It looks real nice, head room etc.. folds down easy and is easy to pull. 5 minutes, ready to camp or load up. Easy stuff. Total cost to buy and restore I think was around $1500. and the way he did it all, it will last longer than the way it was built when new.

He pulls it with a little 4cyl car with no problems. This year he took it on a 2K mile trip from East Texas to Virginia and long way back home. He makes several road trips a year with it.
    It sets on my lake lot when not being used. I will try to take some picks of it.

New fold up campers cost way more and may be bigger. I have looked at some fancy ones.

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Jim or Dave,
    Is there any way i could get one of you to send me the plans.Sure would appreciate it.Would be a great winter project to work on.
    Leakyboat

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Jim I have seen them on TV on a RV show. They Sure look like the ticket for 2 people wanting to travel light.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Having camped out on numerous boat building sites I've seen the plans for these in several places. They even offer plans for slide in campers and travel trailers too.

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i seen one the other day and really didnt know what it was
    i though it was to pull behind a motorcycle,but thought it was for a
    passenger to ride in ? it looked to small to sleep in but i guess looks are decieveing.
    they are cool lookin and airodynamic.

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Ernie, you got mail. If I can help you in any way just let me know.

Judy and I have a larger camper but it is so heavy and hard to pull these mountains with our little truck that we want a light camper and we just fell in love with this little camper. It has a full kitchen in the hatch area, and the size will fool you. We would like to have a queensize bed in ours like one we saw.

Mark, we saw some of the sites you are talking about and they have got some really neat plans. One thing we have been kicking around is what kind of finish we should use on the outside. Aluminum looks great but it is beyond our budget. We found a paint named Uniflex 255 which is used on boats so we figured it should be good on the little camper. We have looked at epoxy, TPO, rubber roofing and Filon panels but so far we are back to the Uniflex. Do you have any suggestions as to what we could use?

If you want to check out the little teardrop campers, just do a search on "teardrop campers" and there will be tons of info.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Up by Bristol, IN just off the toll road, there is a factory that makes them. Forest River has about 30 factorys making most all the small trailers you see at Lowes, Menards and lots of camper places. Hey , thats the last of the real jobs here in Indiana. lol Plus they make tons of those modular homes up by Middlebury, Elkart, Goshen and Bristol.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jim, have you thought about something like 26 gauge galvanized sheetmetal like used in making HVAC duct? It shouldnt be real expensive and it is easy enough to work with hand tools.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim Old buddy, I sure look foward to seeing the little camper when you get it done. Or for that matter call and I will load our little camper up and come over to help you build it. \
    Have food will travel... HEHHE
    Pete

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Mark, that is a great idea, I didn't think about that. Can you paint the galvanized sheet metal? Does the galvanized sheet metal expand and contract as bad as aluminum? I wonder what kind of glue I would use to put it on with? Now that would be the way to go, I really appreciate that.

I had thought about building a teardrop like a wood strip canoe. I built a model canoe 40 inches long using wood strips and epoxy but I have read that the UV rays from the sun will destroy epoxy if you don't put a UV protectant over the epoxy. Here are a couple of pictures of the canoe.

Pete, you could put three or four of these little campers in your slide in. That is the biggest slide in I have ever seen, actually it is a penthouse instead of a camper, I can't think of anything it doesn't have except for maybe a maid, or butler. :p But man what a couple of world class chefs it has.hehehe Pete, that sounds like a plan, work on the tear, fish, eat, eat, fish, eat.... :) I appreciate you buddy.

Attached Files:

15. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ernie,
    I have a whole collection of articles and such, I will get them into your mailbox shortly.

Dave

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jim, you would have to let the weather have it for awhile before you painted it or either etch it with an acid.
    Me and Bobpaul talked about it this morning over the phone and that is what he suggested if you used galvanized sheet metal.

I havent looked at any plans for these things so I dont know how they are constructed . I dont see why you couldn't use a quality plywood like a lightweight marine ply and stitch and glue the thing together and fair it just like a boat then paint with whatever whether its, Imron, Porch paint, or an epoxy based paint.

17. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Thanks Jim and Dave,
    I have a 24' camper already,but the teardrop looks like it would be great if there is going to be just one or two persons.Wife,thanks i got too many irons in the fire already,seen pictures of one,that really looked good on ebay.
    Leakyboat

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    now those little suckers are cool. that would beat a tent got i got a boat to haul too.

19. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks a bunch Mark, that would work. Most of the folks are using 1/8 plywood with syrofoam insulation in between the two sheets of plywood. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

20. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like a plan to me. :thumbsup: