Has anyone made extra long trailer bunks?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Iowa_Josh, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Do you have an inspirational picture for me?
    I just have the mini set on my new boat and they aren't cutting it, even on a lake! It keeps the back end sort of lined up but a jon boat and a keel roller don't work as well as one does with a semi-v. I think the console steer might be complicating the whole thing also. My little boat is a tiller.

Thanks

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'd like to see some ideas too, a buddy of mine got a bass boat but its hard to line it up on the trailer because the trailer goes in so deep, and getting it lined up when he pulls out is tough. Would like to suggest something for him.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have found that if you only back the trailer into the water until the rear roller is submerged, the boat loads a lot straighter and faster. Didn't say easier, I said straighter and faster. Sometimes you have to put a lot of elbow grease into the crank.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    My bass boat trailer has bunks on the bottom and side bunks for the back half,cradles it right in there. I back in far enough to wet the bunks then pull forward till the front of the bunks are just barely underwater.get in the boat and get the front end aimed between the bunks,and when the hull meets the bunks just give her some juice and she'll slide right up and on the trailer,no cranking needed,I hook up the safty chain and puller up to the drain out lanes. the side bunks automatically center the boat on the trailer,all you gotta do is get her headed in nose first.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my tracker trailer has the side bunks and i usually just back in far enough that the bunks are about an inch or two out of the water, then i just drive right on, its a little tougher for me cause with the jet prop my steering gets goofy at low speeds and if the boat turns a little i end up on one of the bunks, so i try and ride up a little faster then once on the trailer i just gun the motor and drive up the rest of the way

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I load my boat like Don does in this post. Has always worked well even in wind.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think my issue is they are the short ones. They aren't vertical and they don't stick out of the water much if the ramp is steep. They're also short so you can be between them but crooked. On my little boat, I made vertical poles and between them and the keel roller, it really stays put when you motor on.

I was kind of debating long bunks so I couldn't get crooked or tall goal posts for the back. Something hard to trailer can really ruin your day sometimes.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is what I made to try and correct a similar problem. The uprights are 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" steel. They slide into another tube ("2" by "2") which is bolted to the underside of the trailer. I can control the depth each upright slides into the 2" tube, and lock them in place with a 1/2" bolt. The uprights are joined together by a carpeted 2 X 4. The rear uprights keep the lights out of the water. Problem is, if I still back it into the water so the bunks are underwater, the boat is just as apt to crawl ontop of the 2 X 4. SO, I just put the rear roller underwater and use the side rails to center the boat. My friend and I have about 5 boats we put in the water, and we set each one of them up the same way. The boat with the tarp is how I winterize my boats just to keep the leaves out. It is stretched over a frame of 1/2" pvc pipe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i got guied poles like Awshucks and soon to add the guied bunks to i think thats the only way to go if you have thoes two the boat has to go on center

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Lawrence, thank you for taking the time. I'm starting to think the tall in back ones are the way to go because my one set worked so well.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Josh, I'd recommend two uprights on each side, with a side rail connecting them together. Its sort of like squeezing a pimple when the boat slides into the cradle. But, man, how good it feels. LOL