Has anyone heard of this? Catfish eating each other?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Captain Cat, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Last May I was fishing with my two boys when one of them asked me what is that in the water. At first it looked like a huge gar but as i got closer to the boat I realized it was two catfish one over 20 lbs. It had another catfish in its mouth up to the barbs. They were tired and drifting with the current. I attempted to net them to get a better look at them. When I got them started in the net they spalshed and separated. The bigger fish could not have eaten the other because it was only a few Lbs. smaller than he was. Were they fighting or trying to kill eachother?

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I have not seen that!

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    they say it happens alot when they are spawning, they called it fighting and they flaot to the top when they are to tired to stay down.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i saw two 30lb+ flats in a holding pin at a ******* go at it once, dont know if one was trying to eat the other or they were fighting. the one was slightly smaller and swam right in front of this other flat who was resting, the resting flat lunged out and grabbed the cruising flat by the head, shook him a few times, swam across pin, shook some more and let him go. that bigger flat went back to his previous spot and assumed his original position. it was quite a sight!

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I've heard of it happening w/ ba$$ before but i thought catfish were above the ba$$. Guess it just happens less w/ the catfish... idk maybe its more and the catfish can just swallow more or are able to expell the smaller one more easily.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i saw this ten years ago at santee cooper. this is what ive been told. big cat are territorial and they fight one another over this. i saw two in the 25-30lb range come to the top at santee. tried to net them also but no luck. ive noticed alot of bigger fish have spots(discolored areas) on the top of there heads. i think this comes from them fighting.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    One cat thought he was bigger than he actually was and he also thought his dinner was smaller than it actually was.

Sounds like a mentally handicapped fish.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    would have liked to seen that:)

9. phatcat

phatcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    My eyes are always bigger than my stomach.......phatcat

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My brother once caught a bass around 1.5 to 2 pounds He had hooked it deep and when he released it, figured it wouldnt live. This was in a 15 or so acre pond. 30 minutes later he saw the "fish" floppy in the water so he waded out to get it, so not to waste it, and found that a 4+ pound bass had swallowed as much of it as possible(only about 1/2) and was unable to finish nor spit it back out.

11. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have heard of yellow cats dying like that. They try to eat something bigger that they can swallow and die of exaustion.

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Wow, sounds impressive!

13. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    No I havent seen that but I have caught a 26lb. blue with a fin hanging from its mouth. It was a whole gizzard shad 14 inches long partially decomposed. I carefully pulled it out of the fishes mouth put the 26 in the livewell and monitered its behavior. Its seemed ok so I let it go It swam off fine

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Never Seen That.

15. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Thanks for the posts Guys. It was cool to see. I thought it might be a territorial thing but was not sure.

16. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I saw a picture of two northerns locked up like that on one of those saturday morning fishing shows. But has any body seen anything like this photo of a flathead that tried to swallow a plastic basketball (see attachment). The guy who took the picture said the fish keep trying to dive, but was resurfaced each time by the buoyancy of the ball. Finally the fish got tried out and was just floating along with the current I hope I got the whole attachment thing right

17. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I caught a 12-14 pound pike with a smaller pike (about 4 pounds) sticking halfway out of its mouth. I couldn't believe he was still hungry enough to eat again.

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That would be crazy to see. I have that same video with the two cats fighting while one had another heads in its mouth.

19. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Strange event. I've never seen that situation with catfish before.

Ralph

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Evidently this is quite common on Santee as many of the guides have told me they have seen this happen.Most feel it is a territorial thing or spawning phenomenon.