Has anyone fished the Kaskaskia?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by FlatGetter, Mar 24, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was looking at a map and I like right before the kaskaskia feeds into Carlyle lake. I would'nt mine trying to fish a small to mid-size river. I know its holding some big flatheads cause thats where the state record flathead was caught. Any Info about the kaskaskia would be nice.

2. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    the river in that area is very good but you have to come to that area from upstream maybe put in around cox bridge. i think there is a launch there also some nice fish in the deep hole right there at cox bridge. you can get there from the main lake but it will be rough because that area is stumps and I mean stumps when they built the lake they left the trees on that end and they are everywhere . dont get me wrong its not impossible but I would not try it with my boat. there is alot of spots to catch some good flats in the river. I beleive that the state record was caught below the spillway at least that is what I was told. I would fish the area where the river channel comes under the railroad or back in the flats on the upriver side watch out for trotlines they are all over up on the north end also.
    Bondman

3. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Which would probably be better north of Vandalia or where i was talking about south. I think where I was looking on the map it was further south of Vandalia and there were multiple bends in the river. And how easy north of Vandalia is it to get a boat through that area?

4. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    The river south of vandalia is the only section I have fished, as to the ability to navagate it is a small river so there is always section that are hard to get across. I put in at the hitego boat launch I am closer to vandalia's boat launch lucky me huh 2 launches in about 5 miles or so but I like the ramp at hitgeo lots closer to where I want to fsh also, if I was going to try and get to the section of river that empties into carlyle I would try and find a closer launch.
    Bondman

5. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    hey guys i run a 20ft boat w/ 115hp motor all over carlyle during duck season north, south, east, west. I've got most of the primary boat lanes marked through the stumps. At normal pool 445.0 u can access the mouth of the river from the lake, just take your time when u do it. As for the Kaskaskia river between cox's brigde & the mouth of the river I have never personally fished it. I know there are alot of limb lines through that stretch of river. there are many log jams, & plenty of river bends. I have been told that when DNR pulls the plug on speaker lake @ the outlet that the channel cats go crazy. Good luck!

6. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    how do you have them marked I would really like to know that. I have heard that there was boat lanes there but could never seem to find them. just curius if you dont mind telling .
    Bondman

7. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    bondman, if you put out @ horseshoe island access, follow the R&R levee u will see the markers, some may have moved or broke loose from the ice but most of them should be there. Not every lane is marked just the most used. They are made from 4'' pvc drain pipe w/ caps on the ends, they have sand in the bottom so they stand up in the water, they do have reflective tape on them so I can see them w/ a spotlight a night. A fellow duckhunter from Highland & I put out new ones & replace lost one every year before duck season. The old tractor paths(boat lanes) are out there, if you can find a old map of the lake when the trees were still standing I think it would help u find them. I was grandfathered in on Carlyle those lanes are like the back of my hand. Also, go up there during winter pool all the stumps are out of the water u can see everything, don't let the mud scare u off u can still get around.