Has anyone fell through the ice before?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mr. Foster, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Everytime I see frozen bodies of water I remember the time I fell through the ice on a golf course pond when I was about 13. My friends and I would sled at the golf course because it had the best hills around. On the way home I got some bright idea to walk on the ice, on hole number nines pond. I made it about three quarters across, then I fell straight through. My friend was over the hill ahead of me and couldnt hear. All I can remember is grabbing for dear life. I tore up my forearms, knees, and shins getting out of there. I did make out and had to walk about a mile to get home. When I got home out of my clothes, they were so stiff the could stand up on there own. I am very thankfull not to make the news that day. So if you must go out on the ice, please be carefull out there.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fell through the ice on a pond way back in my youth too,I got lucky as it was only knee deep. I've had a fear of walking on ice ever since.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Same here....in my youth. Was running a trap line on the creek and busted through to my waist. Man was it cold. My clothes were frozen also by the time I made it back home. Pretty miserable day for sure but could have been worse.

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have never fell threw,,, but I have scared myself a few times in my truck,,,,, nothing like having ice cracks running in all directions from your truck,,,,,,,,,,,,your mind thinks,,, how am I going to explain this to my insurance company,,,,,,,,,:gotu:

5. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Never fallen through ice and never will. One we dont get our lakes here frozen over two if they did you wouldnt see me driving my truck on it or walking it it lol call me chicken but I would rather be a dry and warm chicken then a cold dead ice fishermen lol

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Yes sir, I've fallen through the ice! I used to ice fish when I lived in MA. On my way home from work one day, I saw some kids playing hockey on a lake I liked to fish. I went home retrieved my gear and headed out. I was @ 30 yds from the shore when the ice gave way beneath me. I threw my gear in every direction and spread my arms out. I was able to stop myself from going completely under, but found myself in water to my shoulders. I tried climbing onto the ice and it would break. I was eventually able to get out of the water and onto the ice on my stomach. I crawled off the ice to keep my weight spread out. Thankfully I lived less than 5 miles from the lake and had a heated waterbed. I took off the wet clothes and climbed in. It must have taken an hour before I stopped shivering. I had bent my fingernails back trying to climb onto the ice and while I was thawing out, my fingers began to bleed. I remember thinking "If you panic, you die". All of the information in the world won't help if you ignore it and panic. Keeping my wits about me and remembering to crawl and not try to stand up and run probably saved my life that day.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I was with a buddy at a lake when the ice was melting away from the shore in the early spring. My buddy stepped off the edge of the boat dock and stood on the edge of the ice. He says "I wonder how strong this ice is?":gotu: He proceeded to bounce up and down on the edge of the ice and it broke off leaving him in water up to his armpits. He screamed about how cold it was and begged me to help him but since he could walk out on his own I just stood there laughing hysterically. That was 20 years ago and it's still funny to me but I try not to laugh at him anymore.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I was 14 or 15 I was walking on the marsh, we would walk from a farm place thru the reeds to the clear water then accross to the lake outlet. We wold usually be exploring or hunting. There was no open water, the ice below us was 6-8 inches, or more. When we got to the other side I was walking close to the reeds, my friend was farther out. I stepped in some sloppy snow, that meant there was water on the ice there, I froze, and next thing I knew I was in water up to my waist. I put my hand on the ice in front and jumped out, then turned and ran 1/2 mile or so back to the farm and got on my bike and rode home about a mile. The outer layer of clothing froze and kept the wind out, so I was ok.

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    damn cuz, you lucky to be here. you realize the number of people who have died just that way? glad you made it this far. close calls, wow, makes me think back too the times i shoulda be killed.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've fallen through a couple times while skating. Once I was dumb enough to volunteer to SCUBA drive through the ice looking for a couple kids that fell through and drown in the Potomac. That was cold!!!

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    [youtubevid]1EwgvDvtqQs[/youtubevid]

12. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did . I was fishing for pike in the U.P. I went in up to my chest. I was in and out of the water so fast my feet didnt even get wet.I started to walk back to my car when I noticed that my pants werwe frizzing up and started to panic. It was so cold that I had to drop my pants and make a run for it. I left my gear,.Thank God I left my keys in the car.I got it started and warmed up. Had to drive home in my skivies.Got new pants and coat and had to go back to get my pants& equipment.
    smokey

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Walkin Cash river duck huntin once years ago and fell thru the ice. Buddies got me out but still scary and bitter cold. I tend to stay off ice period.

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i fell through once - the waitress brought me a rum and coke on the rocks, and when i stood up i tripped and ran my face right thru the ice and rum :)