Has anyone ever written a book?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I am in the process of writing a book ... and it is work ... I have been wanting to go fishing, but I have committed myself to doing this book on Muskrats and there is no getting out of it.

I have been writing 5 to 8 hours a day for almost a month ... this includes converting photos to size and to Black & White. This is almost as bad as a full time job.

I have a ton of photos in the book which means I continually have to stop and go take photos or find a place to take photos and this is a real pain.

There are a lot of young people out there that want to learn about muskrats, catching them and handling them, but no one wants to take the time to teach them. After being asked about 100 questions about muskrats, I decided to do a search of available information and I was really surprised. What is out there is either very vague or so hard to comprehend, some of it confused me.

Many years ago I was a techincal writer and we wrote everything so an 8th grader could understand. Today, everything has to be written so a 4th grader can understand it..... Talk about dumbing things down.

I have to write some sentences 3 or 4 times to make it so a kid can understand it. I do have help with that. I have recruited an 8 year old girl and a 11 year old boy to read everything. If they don't or can't comprehend it ... then I rewrite it. The other major thing I am doing in my book that you no longer find in books, I am putting in a glossary. When a word comes up the kids don't understand it goes in the glossary.

Okay ... I guess I just wanted to write something to a couple of adults for a change. I attached a photo of the cover in case anyone wants to see it. I am doing all of the design and layout work also. ...... Garry-

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cool! Wish ya nothin but the best.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck Garry. When ya publish it, i wanna buy a copy. Signed of course.:wink:

4. wild woody

wild woody New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know exaclty what you are talking about. I have 3 self published outdoor cookbooks. All the recipes are my husband's but the art work, pictures, layout, design are all done by me. Attached is one of the front covers from our 1st book.

I have been working many yrs on a book I have titled: One Child's Struggle with Cancer - A Mother's Pathway To GOD. Sadly a true life story about my 9 yr old daughter who at age 3 struggled with cancer. Praise GOD she won her battle. Almost 5 yrs in remission. Some days I can write and write but other days I can't. I may never get it all done but I hope to. If for nothing else than a memory her and I can share. I am hoping someday to finish it and some proceeds to go towards cures for childhood cancer.

I commend you on your efforts and strength to put aside fishing and write this book. I wish you well.

Attached Files:

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Most certainly I will sign it .......... Garry-

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    GOOD LUCK GARY hope it works out for ya

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I would like 1 to pls ?

8. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Good luck Garry,and let us know when it comes available I definitely want one. :wink:

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Can be a tough thing do, write. If you enjoy it the time will go by. Look at the positive side, you still don't have to write it in Arabic.

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    best of luck to you with the book sounds like way to much work for me i'd rather fish lol whenever you get it done and published i'd like a copy also

11. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Put me on the list for one of those copies too. A muskrat book would be great. Many trappers start out with skrats and a how-to guide would be great. I would love to add that to my ever-growing library of outdoor books. When you finish that one the next in line has gotta be a mink book. Thanks for posting.

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wishing you luck on your book Garry, I'd definitely enjoy reading it!:wink:

13. tomh

tomh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garry,

I'm sure the book is work and at times frustrating, but you're lucky you weren't catfishing with me the two times I've been out this year or you'd had more frustration as I've been skunked both time. Did get a couple of muskies casting a Alum a month ago however.

Keep at the book, but take some breaks.

Tom

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Huh? I dont get it....:confused2:.. please right slower I like the pretty rat :big_smile: