has anyone ever used one of these?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by lendog, Jun 21, 2009.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
  2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    i wouldnt hold my breath on that, someone take the $30 hit and let us know :smile2:

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i think i seen them use one of them on the river monsters show but I dont remember what he was fishing for, I have no idea if it works or not

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have read that a bathroom plunger gives the same effect. Think I'd give the $4 plunger a try first, and if anyone said anything I'd tell them the lake or river had a clogged drain I was trying to free up.:wink::smile2::smile2:

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i seen on the show "river monsters" one dude was usin them for wels cats, and also heard that flatheads have the same feeding patern as wels cats, for 30 bucks i'll just cup my hands and make the same noise in the water:smile2:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well....I've got a video tape of Denny Halgren called Rock River Flatheads. They use the clonk on a night when They were getting no action. All of a sudden, they catch a big flathead....and they say it works great on flatheads at night????? I dont think I'll be rushing out to buy one anytime soon.:wink:

7. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    couldnt you get the same effect from using a stick you found on the side of the river:smile2:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve heard and read about them for a while now.It seems like no one wants to commit to saying that they really work.I think I,d just toss a good size rock in and pocket the $30!:crazy:.

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i think i'm just more curious about the principle of it, if making the sound of baitfish on the surface would bring in flatheads to feed?

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The concept behind the klonk is that some catfish have a series of special bones in there inner ear all the way to there air bladder.Its called the weberian ossicles..They give the fish extra sensitivities to sound..The Klonk supposedly makes an enticing sound to a wells catfish..Our catfish species here in the U.S. are known to have this series of bones hence some people believe that it'll work on our cats too..Though not enough is known about the subject because of the scepticism..Personally I don't think it'll work on our catfish but it does absolutely work on wells cats..

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Lendog,

I think those clonks originated in Europe. If you watched that episode on River Monsters, you would see how wels cats have no enemy/predator thus they are not afraid of ANYTHING nor ANYONE! Remember the part where he throws a rock at a wels hugging the bank and the thing didn't even move?

My 2 cents is that the flatheads are not as Big and Bad as the wels so the clonk doesn't work too well for North American catfish.

Go ahead and buy one, it will make a nice bludgeon or door stopper!:smile2:

12. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    sounds like a marketing scheme to me nothin wrong w/ sittin back and waiting for a hit, if i know i'm gonna catch em left and right all the time fishin' just wouldn't be as much fun

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Whatever happened to doing things the hard way, the right way!

It's bad enough we have technology like sonar and depth finders to pin point fish. Having something that draws them to the boat could put a hurting on them!

It's like using a saltlick to attract deer!:cool2:

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    REALLY? Do you put bait on your hook? :roll_eyes:...:smile2:

15. BobbyR

BobbyR New Member

State:
    Minnessota
    I do not know about U.S. catfish, but a Brit. mag I get, had an article and they worked very well, but it said you must keep moving around as the catfish seem to catch on, and simply stop biting.
    But after they moved it worked again.

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Year's ago a couple BOC member's ran some test using them and the result's were not good.

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did long ago but now I just call them on the phone and ask where they are......LOL......I don't know if they work but if it works wouldn't all the catfish be gone ?

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have one and I use it from time to time. Does it help you catch more fish can't really say. I have sat on a hole for an hour with no luck, I decide to use the clonk. Well with in 30 mins fish are in the boat. Did it make the fish bite maybe or did they just find the bait could be. I will tell you this it did not hurt because if you are using it normally you are not getting fish to the boat, so using it did not mess up the bite. Will I use it more, you bet.

19. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    THanks Dan. I think you are the only one here to have one. I always wondered if you hadnt used it would those fish have biten anyways. Maybe maybe not who will ever really know. Thanks for the info anyways

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thanks, i knew about these clonks for several months now and didn't want to shell out 30 bucks so i made something very similar, basically a 3 inch suction cup on a stick and that would produce the same noise but have yet to try it, heck it'll be dark who's gonna see me :smile2: