Has anyone ever used crawfish for bait and be successful?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by deer74turkey, Apr 28, 2009.

1. deer74turkey

deer74turkey New Member

State:
    LaPorte, Indiana
    I have heard channel cats love crawfish, has anyone ever had success with them?

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    If you cant catch fish on crawdads you may as well give up.Almost every fish that swims eats the,just check stomach contents.Which is the problem if you want catfish everything else loves them too.If you want action go for it.:smile2:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Out here in central cali the channel's love them ..But i'd rather do the eating of the crawfish lol So the channel's get everything but them.

4. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    ive caught channels on crawfish, the bigger the better though then nothing else can get them...

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck yeah cats love them things,they will absolutely destroy crawdads especially if there soft,if there not soft i just use the meat out of the tails.In my opinion crawdads are the best cat bait you can use.

6. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have found that when I use Live Craw Fish I don’t catch as many fish. I think they go and hide under a rock or burry themselves in the mud a lot of the time. So what I do is hook them in the tail and then step on them to get them oozing. When I do that; its game on.

7. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I get a lot of snags when using them. I think they crawl under rocks. Maybe a slip bobber rig would help this but I also have trouble with that. My stop not never stays where I want it. If I fish them on a fixed bobber it seems like all I get are bass. I have the same problem using salamanders.

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    To keep them from crawling under rocks you can kill them or trim their legs off, One may also use a carolina rig with a small bobber 8 to 10 inches above the bait to keep them suspended.

9. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Yep. They are like candy to fish! I used to use them a lot.