Has anyone ever tried using planer boards catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Team Hold EM Hook, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    I read an article a couple years ago about this but have yet to try it.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Joe, I have been using side planer board for cats for quite some time now and so have a couple of other catfishermen on Lake Norman, NC and elsewhere in the Carolinas.

Our technique is to cast out or feed out about 75 to 100' of line with your bait and then connect that portion of the line to the planer board. Then feed out 40 to 50 feet of line and lock down your reel. The side planer board with then run to the far outside of the boat. When the fish strikes, let the fish pull the board straight back to the rear of the boat. If you are using circle hooks, the fish will hook itself and if you are using a J hook, you will have to set the hook. Mac

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Does the planer board just move your bait to the outside, or does it act as a bobber or what?

I am planning to do a lot of shallow fast water fishing and would like the ability to fish 15-20 feet wide and present it to a particular piece of structure like a boulder or a log.

Thanks,

Shawn

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Shawn, the planer board is designed to take the bait out further from the boat, thus giving you a wider spread. Most are too light to be used as floats.

5. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thanks and happy birthday. Hope Hugh puts you on my fish..... He knows where we released it.... :wink:

6. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Will these boards work like a kite ,.. somewhat across and against current as they had correct tensioning line?

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Rob, after you have made your cast with the bait (approx. 50 to 75') and you attach the board to the line at the end of your rod, you will let out 30 to 75 more feet of line and place your reel in a lock position. The board will then pull against the rod and move the board out approx. 20 to 50 feet from the boat. With no wind or major current it will run almost parallel to the boat.

Always have your rod at a 45 degree angle or better to cut down on the line drag (caused by the fishing line laying on the water surface). Idea situation is to have the line from the end of the rod to the planer board be above the water surface.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you'll do a Google search on planer boards, you'll find lots of info. There are several types of boards, some designed to release your line and float free after a strike, requiring that you go back and retrieve the board after boating or losing the fish; in-line boards, which stay attached to your line while fighting the fish (and may act as a float or strike indicator); and towed boards, which are attached to a separate line connecting the board to a 'mast' designed to keep the line out of the water--one line is attached to the board, and one or more lines may be fished off the line between the mast and the board, letting you fish as many as 6 or 8 lines off two planer boards. Also, some boards have some type of strike indicator, raising a flag or causing a light to turn on or flash.

9. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    The reason for my questions is I have seen a type of float/planer advertised elsewhere and have been toying with an idea, perhaps with a modification of Genes KatBobber.

I would like to see a contraption where I can cast out sideways in current, and then let line out to present my bait above, then drop even, then drift in behin structure in riffles and current. I am thinking with a little plastic or wood glued to the bottom it may be workable.

Thoughts, ideas, existing products?

Thanks,

Shawn

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Shawn, you can cast out a slip bobber at your desired depth, then feed out another 10 to 15' and attach the side planer board and then let it out how far you want your spread.

11. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Are you dragging a basic drift rig behind the planer board?

12. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Don't know what that animal is but will use a bobber/stop , sinker, swivel, leader and hook. Probably sinker over hook.

13. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Joe, the answer to your question is yes. We use the typical Carolina rig (slinky weigh, swivel, 18" to 24" shock leader, 2 to 2.5" cork and circle hook).