Has anyone ever set up a nice bank fishing chair up in their boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by bigfish, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    has anyone ever just set up a nice bank fishing chair up in their boat and used that for a seat. or would the waves cause it to tip to much.

2. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I use a fold up chair in my 18ft boat and have no problem dad even sets in it when go up the river and we usually run aboat 35mph and has never up set him.

3. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Well we have tried it before, it's ok til you hit some wake from other boats the the fold up chair "folds" up.. asked if he was ok then started laughing my hiney off.. he was fine but i had to ask yaknow how that is.. I think his chair was about dead before we hit the waves..

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i seen a small boat last year with 2 high back office or computer chairs mounted in it! man those dudes looked really comfortable!

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    cant say i ever did that. i wont allow someone to sit in a chair like that if my boat is moving.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Remember fishing in the Chickahominy River in Virgina several, several years ago... we were crappie fishing w/cane poles in 12' of water... February... gosh, it gets could in VA during Feb. Everyone was fishing in 12 to 14' jon boats. two gentlemen had lawn chairs set in theirs. One face starboard and the other port. everything was okay until one guy got a bite and leaned forward to get his pole. Wasn't nothing in slow motion...that boat went over faster than the Titanic went down.... we threw our poles into the water, started the motor and cleaned up the boat so we could help the guys somehow. We got there and immediately pulled an elderly gentlemen into our boat...bout that time we didn't have much freeboard left...yelled for other boaters to get the other one and ran for the boat house with the guy we had...got him up there, sucking of some coffee, and we went back to find out poles. someother fishermen had them for us... everyone pitched in...the boat was towed in, floating equipment secured and the only thing lost during the whole episode was one tackle box and a whole lot of pride...be careful as to how comfortable you get...think of your boats design. ehhehehe

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Some nights we use the fold out chairs, Usually use them when were gonna stay some where for a bit. They do take up more room than the normal pedistal seats.

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    It's pretty safe just be on your guard and make sure you well balanced, it's very relaxing too.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You have to sit on a pedestal seat where as you sit in a chair.
    The chair is the only way to go for extended fishing.

10. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    It took me a while to find it on the BOC, but I did find it, and I think in answer to your question on setting up a folding chair, a picture is worth a thousand words. Credit needs to go to "wpsatisfide" for posting this picture in the first place but it has earned a place in my daily viewing just for a good laugh. Never under estimate the desire to fish a different part of the lake or river than you can get to easily. Looks like a fold up chair will work, kind of.
    Hope this works.

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    beeheck, Looks like I wasted a lot of money on my boat.

ST

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I have a pontoon I am going to strip down, thinking about just putting lawn chairs on it for this year. Mabey next year I will know more of what I want to do.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim, you really need something to lean on, your back will thank you.:)
    You shouldn't have any problems as long as you keep them in the bottom of the boat and don't use them when moving .:eek:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A really nice captains chair would be nice but real mean on the wallet.

15. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a Lowe 1648 jon boat with a floor put in it by the factory. I put two folding camp chairs in it. One in the front and one in the rear. I have ten rod holder, so which ever way you want to face you have two rod holders in front of you. Also the live well between us. Makes it nice to drift and bs the day away.

16. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    When me and my fishin partner go out on his toon 99% of the time we fish out of lawn chairs. The comfy ones that come on toons seem like they are always in the way, but they make ok rod-proper-uppers i rekon.

I intend to buy a toon myself in the next couple of years but the only thing I will order it with is a captains chair and helm. Both mounted very near the front to free up the room from there back. It'll also make it lots easier to see logs and such in the river.

Joe

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's the "Captains chair" on my Catoon. Got it on sale at the hardware store for $10 bucks. The Frau made me a back and butt cusion, this is what I relax on when I'm drift fishing, , use a bungee cord to secure it to the front rail when underway.

Attached Files:

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Joe, that's exactly what I did, 16 years ago. When I got her, all it had was the motor, console and chair, everything else you see I added myself. The truck box holds the batteries, extra oil, PFD's, etc. The console in the pic is bigger than the one it came with, I made this one, windshield included.

19. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Now thats a sweet setup Jim. About the only things I wanna do a little different are runnin the railing all the way to the front with the console and adding a top for lotsa shade.

Is that a picket fence in front of yer console or a rod holder. :p

Joe

20. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks all for the input. i do guess i should have stated that i have seats clamped to the bench for when the boat is moving. the bank fishing chair was for when im anchored down. so from all im hearing im not the first one to think of it. i was hoping for a patent for the idea. oh well. but yea you are right mark j, i stay for several hours when i go. i only worry about 2 things while on the water first is safety and second is be as comfortable as i can.