Has Anyone Ever Encountered a Gill Net?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Nov 15, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I read in another website about fishermen gettiing their lines hung in TWRA gill nets. One fellow claims it had several dead game fish caught in it. I checked the TWRA site, and yes, they do sample fish populations using gill nets in several TN reservoirs.

Is it also legal for commercial fishermen to use gill nets on TWRA reservoirs? I've also heard about ducks, geese, herons, and other wildlife caught in these by these folks who don't check their nets often enough. :sad2:

2. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    parts of old hickory can be fished commerically with gill nets for the paddle fish before they lay their eggs, there are boundries.They can't go upstreram of hwy 109, due to alot of fish migrating in the spring and the river narrows so much.The TWRA does some sampling with nets to test and study the fish to see how healthy and even to see how the hatch has done.Compared to alot of other states I think that we are lucky to have an agency that does alot more than alot of other states.:roll_eyes:

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    they use gill nets here in MO on the MO river but they must be tended to all the time they out and any game fish released. They can keep rough fish only carp and stuff. no cats or spoonbill.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ive never seen a gill net.:eek:oooh:

5. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If there is any kind of commercial fishing or sport fishing rig that should be outlawed it is the gill net . They have no hooks but when the fish swims into it it is caught and if it does escape weither it is a game fish or rough fish it will probably die. There use to be laws in Tenn that they could only be used in a very limited area, now they fish them wherever. some even stretch across the main channel of the mouth of a creek. they catch whatever, even your prop if you get in one ,you have to cut it out. I was raised a commercial fisherman and we did not fish them ,they should be outlawed nothing good about them

6. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Those still are the laws the way that i understand it, if are seeing them like this have you contacted anyone?

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what little ive read about them they seem to be a bad deal for gamefish and trash fish combined...:angry:

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my uncle bought one at a garage sale and we used it to clean up a drying stock tank and relocate the fish..we lsot a few...not many

9. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    Here is a pic of what I see garbaging up the river on a daily basis. The unfortunate thing is they are legal with the right licenses. I watch them harvest Flathead's regularly, mainly for table fair. But, mostly they are after Spoonbill (paddlefish) for the egg's and not catfish. Regardless I don't understand why they allow a 6 mth season for this if any at all. I practice a mandatory CPR of all catfish over 10 lbs unless it is mortally wounded.
    Louisville Guy's 263.jpg

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    whoa thats a lot more extreme than what we had...it was more like an over sized seine

11. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Yes, there was a commerical fisherman using one on Marion revs here in Kansas last summer, its was about a 1/2 mile long, they were catching buffalo. Watched him run the net on morning, they seem to catch everything, they were throwing back more fish then they were keeping, I lost two lures in the net before I figured out where it was.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    is that the one tied off to the ramp at angel mounds paul? you cant find an eddie to fish this time of year that doesnt have a damn net in it... :angry:

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Grapple hook and a lol tow time. Dont know how that net found its way in to that rock pile? :wink: They need the law amended they have to watch em.