Has anyone catfish off a float tube?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kevthecatfishstudent, Apr 4, 2006.

1. kevthecatfishstudent

kevthecatfishstudent New Member

State:
    Riverside California
    Just got into float tubing this year and want to try catfishing in it very soon. Has anyone tried it and have any advice.

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    No I haven't but I figure if you'd get hooked on a big one it'd certainly give you a heck of a ride. I had thought about using floats myself, but having my feet dangling in the water where anything could have a feast on them kind of changed my mind--however I have bought 2 inflatable pontoon boats in the last 2 years. I have a 10' Creek Company 1018 boat that has 18" pontoons and a seat and foot rest, it has a platform in the back that can hold up to 2 trolling motors. The other one is a red one thats about 7' long. Have never tried these either but hopefully will give at least one of them a shot this year.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    no i haveent ever caught a catfish out of a float tube.and one other thing i think what you and that fish are doing in your avitar is illegal "even in california" . sorry dude i just couldnt resist.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I was thinkin' the same thing :eek:

I bass fish out of them and they are a blast. The Catfish Now magazine this month has a story about this very thing. It's a good read.
    The first time I went out in a tube it was really weird. Things were rubbing up against my flippers and then my legs. I got settled down and hung into a small bass that came in easy. So after that I was chilled out and the underwater stuff didn't brother me any more. Then some ol'man hollers to me he saw some snakes out there today. No big deal I thought. Well I got so relexed my foot floated up with the tip of the flipper sticking out of the water. I thought it was one of those snakes and I whipped the poop out of my foot with a 7' fishin' pole before I knew it was me :confused: .......

5. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    LMAO!! TBONE, I tell ya that's funny right there, I don't care who you are, that's funny!!

6. kevthecatfishstudent

kevthecatfishstudent New Member

State:
    Riverside California
    LMAO, yeah I thought the same thing when I saw the picture on the internet but I couldn't resist using it as my avitar. :D

7. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i do some out of my kayak, basically the same concept, never had much success but not bad for some eater sized channel cats.

8. Super Fish Champion

Super Fish Champion New Member

State:
    illinois
    I once fished from a float tube before.... I am the Super Fishing Champ!

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Kev, Ive done it a few times back when I had a belly boat and used to have access to some local prime gravel pits( Hilltop across from Rainbow Lakes for those local folks) anyways we would float out into about 15-20 ft of water where the weeds would almost touch the surface and drop crappie minnows right along the edges to the botom and we picked up quite a few perch, crappies, bass and a handful of 5-8Lb channels and let me tell you, they really would spin you around, what a blast that was on a long ultralight noodle rod !! We were not anchored at all. You can do it but the pontoon Boats would require you to anchor both on the front and rear to stay stationary unless you were drift fishing.

Good luck and let us know the results!
    Salmonid

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I have pond hopped in them before and they were fun then but I think I'll stay in the boat now. I do remember that a 6 pound bass on a stringer was a pain until I just decided to fish where he wanted to go.

ST