Has anyone been to The Greenup Locks & dam lately?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishjohn, Apr 9, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm wondering if the skips are running. I need to stock up on them or some shad down there ASAP!!! I just checked the levels and its at right at 34' right now. I don't know if its up too much right now to try but any info will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Its supposed to drop for a day or 2 and the rain Fri. and Sat. may make it impossible to fish.
    Thanks for any info!!!:wink::big_smile:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    At 34 feet I think the walkway is completly underwater, and half of the stairs going down.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks Jack! I kinda figured that but was hoping for the best...:wink::smile2:

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever been there im thinking about heading down to Green up locks next month I heard its a good place to fish

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Let me know when you plan to go and maybe I can meet you there. I really need some skippies bad!!!
    Its a good place to fish during the week but during the week its usually pretty packed. I've met lots of cool people there and had people give me all the skips they caught before.
    Just let me know and we'll hit it!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    So nobody has been down there lately???:smile2:

I just checked and the level is down to 30'. Probably still too high to safely fish there. By next Tuesday they are predicting it to be at 20'. That is if it doesn't rain too much Friday and Saturday night. I hope not!

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!:wink::big_smile:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If the water is dirty the way it is everywhere else you will have alot of trouble getting them to hit.

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Last time I was there was around the first of the year.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    With all this rain today the river is gonna be up more and muddier than it has been. Will this ever end?????:angry:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    As of today the level is down to 21.8'. Its almost time to hit the Dam for some Skippies and possibly some cats!
    I may hit it down there in the next couple days, not for sure but I am gonna be somewhere fishing Thur. or Fri. or both!:wink::big_smile:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the update. I know some people who would like to catch some skips.

12. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    You might want to think about the Racin dam. I believe that is the name for that one it is about 10 miles up river from Pomeroy,Ohio. I normally start catch skipjack there below the dam around the end of April.You fish from the Ohio side.
    good luck

13. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fished the dam yesterday from the upper walkway which was out of the water but your feet still got wet from the river and the dam leaking.Caught 6 hybrids and two channels at about 3lb. and 10 lb.plus.Cats didn't hit until after dark.Caught them on cut shad.Skipjacks not showing up but plenty shad and easy to catch.Big bunch fishing with lot of tangled lines but everyone got along.
    Jake

14. shumanator20

shumanator20 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hows everyone going

15. shumanator20

shumanator20 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats good to here

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm hoping to get some shad or skippies Friday evening so I can have some more bait for the get-together Saturday. Wish me luck!!!

Firechief, if you read this get ahold of me and maybe we can go hit it before then...:wink::big_smile:...If you can throw a cast net I have one we could use. The fresher the bait the better!!!

17. fishin fool 1969

fishin fool 1969 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I havent been down there personally,but Ive been reading on other fishing websites that white bass,cats,smallies,and stripes are biting,wish I was there,but I do know the water temp is about 55 degrees,hope that helps!good luck 2 all!

18. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    hey bro me you and john will have to head down there! I hope your comeing to ellisonville sat for our get together steve We have got a bunch of door prizes and food and it should be a blast. Call me bro!

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Saturday or Sunday would be good. The water is supposed to go down and I've heard the white Bass and stripers are hitting and tons of shad that I'd like to stock up on. I'll bring my net and cast net if you'll throw it for me...:wink::big_smile:

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I will send you a message this next month and let you know when im on my way down there and I will get in contact with you and we can meet up and hopefully catch some good fish I have made and caught alot of catfish bait here lately, hopefully the fishing will be good down there, it should be around May 14,15 when I get to go down there but ill let you know when I get ready to go.