Has anyone been fishing the James lately?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat69, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I have been traveling on business for the last few weeks and have not had time to get out and wet a line.
    Is anyone doing any good on the James? I will be going out next week in search of the monsters so any info would be great.
    Mike

2. guscipi

guscipi New Member

State:
    va
    Went out today 10-21 took off work with my wife. Fished from 7am to 12pm We boated 6 fish 10,13,20,34,42,47 and had one break me off. Bait was terrible 5 sets of the g-net 3 medium shad, plenty of 2-3 inch shad with the cast net.

Attached Files:

3. jcat61

jcat61 Guest

Fished a tournament sat, Capt Hugh and I took 2nd, with 80.? for two fish. I had big fish with a 50.1. Wind was terrible. Fished sunday, only managed a 26

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I went out sunday with a coworker and his son on his boat, we managed a dink, a 4LBer and a 46LBer in a few hours

5. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

Oh yea, your boat happy now... just when I was starting to look up to you for catching on the bank :wink:

Kidding of course, nice grab on the 46... jcat61, congrats on big fish, and
    guscipi, nice haul... but you can never complain when you can get your woman out on the water with ya, much less hold 'em in her lap! You seem to have a keeper there, welcome to the site.

Haven't seen much here since I took a saltwater break, end of Sept. What's everyone catching so many, you don't have time to post, lol? Got into some nice Flounder, a few Pups, and some small Specks near Rodanthe. Was nice to just wet a line... health issues are a real heartache for a fisherman, but so sweet when ya get to go, and hook up :cool2: Never seen any salt fish pics on here, so figured I wouldn't be the first.

Looking forward to hear some successful bank fishing tales, so I can hit the water with a little more confidence. Don't keep 'em all a secret...

Good Luck, and keep it real..........

6. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    LOL yeah I do feel like I havent hit the bank much lately. I've been in a class for the past 3 weeks so I havent gotten out to the water much. The few times I have I was gonna head to the bank but my friend called and said hey man you wanna go on the boat so I figured hey might as well. I have caught more fish on the boat but the biggest have come from the bank in 25-40 ft of water. Hell he called last night to go on the boat and a couple friends called last night to go chase stripers this morning but the ol lady leaves for NY again today so I had to spend quality time :big_smile::confused2::sad2: but im heading out tomorrow. I plan on hitting the bank early at about 7am at my favorite spot in DG.

7. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    I went last sunday and fished a very slow incoming tide. I did manage about 10 fish 2 biggest in the 30's. I went thursday for a little while and caught one in the 30's and one around 20 and some teenagers. I only fished about 3 hours thursday. The tide was still slow on the incoming. All fish were caught on cut shad.

8. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    did I talk to you briefly comin into the dock? I was on a 19ft Deck boat with a friend and his son and we talked briefly to someone on a Center console boat who said he caught a couple 30s?

9. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Went bank fishing this morning about 3-1/2 hours. Just downstream from Ancarrows Landing. Caught seven fish - two catch and release, a little over 17 pounds. (I weighed them both, weight about the same. Caught them about 30-45 minutes apart, may have been the same fish!! Was he that stupid??) Five filet and release, from about 8 pounds to 10 pounds.

No monsters, but a good day on the water.

10. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    Ramon that may have been me. I think I remember yall. How did yall do that night? I heading out tomorrow night. I will post what I do.

11. jedmonds78

jedmonds78 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I went out friday and caught a couple 50 plus under the benjamin harris

12. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    Lets see some pics.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Can't have your first post be about catching two 50's and not have pictures:wink::smile2::wink::smile2:

Lets see 'em!!

14. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome Jimmy
    I think you have to have ten? posts before posting pictures. Anyway Fisherman neverrrrrr stretch the truth except maybe for the 300 pound world record Bluecat that always gets away.

15. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    We didnt do too hot for the amount of time. We fished about 2 more hours than you and linked up with 3 fish. A 2LBer, a 4LBer and my friend got his PB 46.6LB Blue Cat on a frozen Menhaden chunk :roll_eyes::wink::big_smile:

Attached Files: