Has anyone been able to keep threadfin alive more than a day or two?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Hoile, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Hoile

Hoile New Member

State:
    Shaw AFB, South Carolina
    I'm new to this site, so first off i would like to say hello to all.

I live in Sumter, and am curious to know if anyone has mastered a way to keep shad alive more than just in a live well tank for the duration of a fishing trip. I've been scheming on bringing some home to try running my own back yard personal bait shop. Saving time and money from driving all the way to the wateree dam to gather bait prior to fishing. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you probably got a good chance of keeping gizzard shad around for a while but in my expierence you are gonna have a real struggle trying to keep threadfins...just about the time a threadfin hits the bottom of the boat outta my cast net it is already half dead or dead...maybe try keeping perch, bream etc...if it's legal to do so.

3. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think shad are one of the fish that cannot live without current or constantly moving. When they spawn, the eggs must keep moving or they will die. Thats why they wont breed in a lake. If you can get a big enough tank to keep them moving you would have a better chance.

4. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    First of all welcome , I think you will like it here. About the bait tank, I have pretty much the same set up as Flopeye. An old 250 gal. chemical tank. But ours isn't in the ground all the pumps and filters are 12 volt so we can transport it. Air pumps with air rocks.Filter pump and a bilge pump for current. We haven't tried threadfin but gizzard shad will last about a week if the temp doesn't get to high. White perch & bream will last as long as you feed them even in the summer.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

They need current to push the oxy across their gills and so they school up..

I wouldnt agree to them NOT breeding in a lake though?? the Two lakes I mainly fish here are LOADED with Shad, from minnows to huge...

Here is a pretty interesting Article on Threadfin and Gizzard shad:
    http://www.nanfa.org/captivecare/herrings_and_shads.shtml

6. Hoile

Hoile New Member

State:
    Shaw AFB, South Carolina
    Thanks alot guys. I'll grab the next big tank i see and give it a go. Till then i came across bluegill goldmine in the form of a subdivision pond. Which is in my area , so i will continue using that as my local bait retail outlet for now.