Has anybody tried the Lee Classic Loader?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by 7mmmag1, Dec 17, 2009.

1. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I found this just browsing around and am really interested. I don't have much money to spend and this sounds great. Does anybody know if they work ok? I am not a target shooter I just want to afford being able to shoot my 30-06 and have fun

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=508946

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't mind having one to take to the range with me, but I wouldn't use it as my primary loader, myself. A single stage press is inexpensive...especially when you look at the price of a box of ammo. I kinda lucked out and had a press given to me. :big_smile:

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy:Man those are the funnest reloaders ever. thats what i started out with 40 yrs ago.:big_smile:
    The only thing you need is components and a mallet!
    cheap reloading at its best.
    easy&cheap way to find out if reloading is for you.:wink:

4. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats kinda what I was thinking. I can't (don't want to) shuck out 2-300 bucks for a real reloader. I'd rather try out a cheap one first

5. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    GIT UR DUN !

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Daniel,Check out the LEE line of presses,I bought my first press ,A LEE challenger for under 60.00 course that was 30 yrs ago,its still serving me well. might cost a bit more these days,BUT not any where close to 200;00

7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Mine was about that. Ann. edition. now breech kit.
    but still at a good price if you check around.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Yep, have one for my .243.........slow, but I'm not in a hurry. I also have a powder scale and a caliper, weigh every load and measure every OAL. Last week at the range my 13 year old son popped off a 5 shot .474 group at 100 yards using ammo produced with that loader. That gun loves 75 gr. v-max's!!!

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    thats what i started out with years ago, loaded 308, 30/30 30/06 all with good results...only drawback is its a slower process but they do work well

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    .223 is right, that is the absolute best way to start. you can use the other, which is effective and would work, but you will still have to drop money into a precisions scale, and the ease and quality of press will ensure you dont get frustrated and give up. it will only take 10 boxes or reloaded ammo and you will start to catch up on the price difference in the two. also you can simply buy new dies and you will be able to load all kinds of center fire ammo. with the press he is suggesting, you will be able to keep up and load plenty of ammo for years. save your $20 now and go with what you need. Christmas is coming ask for the kit.

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's what I started off with 40 years ago, too. I found the best way to do it is to get 2 sets and have a friend over to help you. That way you can do two operations at once. One can be knocking out the old primers while the other is re-sizing cases. One can be filling cases while the other seats the bullet, etc.. A friend and I used to sit around on Friday night and watch "In Concert" on TV and load 400-500 rounds, then go out Saturday and shoot them up.

13. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, I'm getting a gun safe for Christmas:big_smile: Did some looking and I think that anniverary deal sounds good comes with a challenger press and everything I need but the dies and its only like 150 bucks. Do you think that is a good deal? I liked it because I could load pistol ammo too. I believe midway usa had the best price. Will probably get it ordered in mid January gotta pay off my credit cards and truck insurance first and my boat will be paid off next week:smile2: then I will have some spending money again.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that and some dyes and you are off to the races, thats not a bad deal... down the line you will eventually upgrade your scales and little things, but you wont have too, its just how we do...haha

15. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    oh hell yea good choice !!

16. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    I have used Midway and Graf and Sons and once you figure in the $5.00 shipping per order (can weigh 20 lbs) shipping charge that Grafs has its no contest. Sometimes Grafs has the best price and shipping charge

Graf & Sons - Metallic Reloading

17. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Check around a few places on prices.
    Compare the breech loading kit to the 50th kit.
    You get 11 seats for the auto primer with the breech kit,
    none with the 50th.

www.fmreloading.com
    www.wideners.com
    www.natchezss.com
    www.midsouthshooters.com

And the ones already listed.

While at these sites, might as well check powder and primer prices.
    Hazmat charge of 22.50 added to order, powder and primers can be shipped together.

18. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use one of them for my son's 357 mag and it works great. If you have a Cabelas store close you can save the hazmat fee. You can get a nice Lee terrent press there for $110 and a set of dies for $26. And you can get your powder and primers and bullets there too. It will pay for it's self real fast for the price of ammo now.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  19. WalkAlot

WalkAlot New Member

State:
    central IL
    What different calibers do you eventually see yourself loading?

Just 30'06? Any single stage will do just fine.

If you get into loading for handgun, whether it is for a wheel gun or a slide gun, go with a a Lee Classic turret.

Best value out there. The dies fit in a four hole aluminum turret that costs $8-$10. No setting your dies with every batch of ammo.

Huge ram, very stable, not going to wear out anytime soon. Spent primers go down through the hollow ram into a plastic tube that can be routed to a bucket, or just capped off and emptied every couple thousand rounds depending on large or small primers.

There are plenty of more reasons I could give. If you never see yourself wanting to load more than 500 rounds at a session, you would never need anything else.

Brett

20. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The one and only thing that I DO NOT like about them is the powder dipper. Modern smokeless powder is loaded by weight, How do they know if the mfg changed the density of the powder? If that happened and it does happen that scoope that has never let you down is suddenly 2 grains heaver and damages your gun. I would a least add a scale and you can get a good one with the loader for under $100. You can even splurge and get an electronic scale for under $100 and with any of these you can continue to use them as you load for more calibers AND you can sell them for about the same money that you buy them for. There are a few cheaper but any of these will last for YEARS!

#2 Master Magnetic Powder Scale 505 Grain Capacity

Model 505 Magnetic Powder Scale 511 Grain Capacity

Pro 500 Magnetic Powder Scale 505 Grain Capacity

BBK 2 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity 110 Volt

Pro 1000 Magnetic Powder Scale 1005 Grain Capacity

Model RC130 Magnetic Powder Scale 130 Grain Capacity