Has anybody tried the "CATMAX" catfishing Rod or REEL

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by j.smfp, Oct 2, 2007.

1. j.smfp

j.smfp New Member

State:
    MO
    HAs anybody tried the "CATMAX" rod and Reel sold by Bass Pro shop? I was wondering if they would be good for river fishing.

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have 2 of the CATMAXX rods and they have worked great for me!:wink: I have the CMX90MHT two piece rods. I pulled in the 21.4 flathead in my avatar on it and had no problem at all. I havent tried the reels yet I have 2 ABU 6600 c4 on mine.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I have one of the rods like Scott and they work great. BTW,I was the netman on his PB flattie and the rod performed great. Could have handled a much bigger one. Not sure if his netman could have though...:smile2:

4. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the reel on my cat rig and its great

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have the one piece rod and i really like it,i just wish i had a 2 piece because its easier to haul around.but the rods are fantastic.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    YEP! have the one piece rods and reels are OK so far, the only thing that I really don't like about the reel is the clicker switch is a bit small and lower than I like but other than that I have had no problems out of them, yes I would buy another one of them and prolly will :wink:

7. j.smfp

j.smfp New Member

State:
    MO
    Tahnks to all of you I guess I will buy a couple and give them a try

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    what you guys prefer med heavy or heavy?

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have 7 CatMaxx rods and know that they are QUALITY fishing gear. My rods are 2 piece 10 & 11 ft. MH & H. I have one of the Casting rods and the rest are Spinning. I have taken a 70lb. European Wels on one of the 11ft. Spinning rods and it was a JOY to work with. They are Heavy rods, but well worth the price that you pay. If you were going to be casting out and reeling in multiple time as in Spin-Fishing, they would wear you down over the course of a days fishing. I do not and will not have one of the reels as they are not the standard that I TRUST. Each to his or her own, but this is MHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Save your money don't buy the reel it's JUnk. Heck for that matter don't buy any BPS reel. Now there rods are a different story.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Dinger66 I like the MH action the best.

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Haven't tried the reels but the rods are worth toting to the water. I give them high marks.

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I too have 6 catmaxx rods..........very nice stout rods.........i would agree with the rest that the reels aren't up to par........i have one catmaxx reel which is now on a lighter rod......

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I second this. Mine is MH and has enough back-bone and also sensitive enough. I'm gonna get Crab to get me one where he got his killer deal at! :wink::big_smile:

15. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also have a catmaxx rod, I use it for long distance casting, it is the CTX11HT, an 11'. The rod has worked great to cast into pretty nice spots that are too far from shore to be reached by shorter rods.

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    The rods are awesome! With the eyes they load good and distribute the weight throughout the whole rod. Personally i like the Heavy 7'6" one piece rods due to where i fish. The only problem i've had with one is an eye that popped out and i think that was due to bumping it on something. A little superglue and it was good as new. As for the reel, its a nice starter reel, personally when i'm bringin in rods i like a high speed reel so that reeling in from 40 to 60 depths it comes up quick.

17. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i have five of the 7 foot ones and have caught many big fish 65lb blue and a 76lb flat head in the missour river so i think you will like them dont know much about the reels bout mine all have abu 7000ic3 on them and there really good reels would owen any thing ealse

18. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thats all i use is the cat maxx combos they hold up fine ive caught fish up to 74lbs on them

19. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I personally use the the Garcia 6000 and think they are the best for the money. M y buddy has one of the Catt Maxx reels and from what ive seen I would not buy one myself. Two reasons, first, the bait clicker is not loud enough and second, while getting a run and setting the hook, the line seems to slip on the spool. Thats just my opinion, and as we all know everyone has there own.

20. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I know it's hard to make recommendations with out knowing the full circumstance those involved...I make no assumptions, and mean no offense..

But..

I would venture a guess that the line slipping on the spool is not fault of the reel but an improper spooling of the line in the first place. I would bet if your buddy took that line off the spool, and tied a new know (checking for a nice snug fit the arbor) and then a careful snug (not tight but snug) winding of the line back on the spool.. the "slipping" problem will be resolved....

The line isn't a braid by chance is it :wink: