Has anybody tried cut pogie

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by nightowl, Jul 16, 2007.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    I was wodering if anyone has tryed cut pogie for big blue.
    i was down on the coast this weekend, i went to a bait shop and seen a bag of pogie and decided to buy sum, but i havent had a chance to try them yet.

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yes they work VERY well. My cousin caught two blues within 20 minutes while using cut pogie. The first 24lb. and the second 18lb.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hands down a fine bait. That along with any other salt water fish carcases ya can get. The gut pocket drives em nuts. Get on down to the marinas and collect all the carcasses from the folks cleanin thier recent catch. Its worth the trip.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Blue's,Channel's,white and Bullhead Catfish bite Saltwater American Shad,Mullet and all of the little By-catch that I use to buy off of the Shrimp Boats To grind for chum or use in Freshwater or Tidewater for Catfish bait when they are biting.Savannah Tidewater Blue Catfish move miles up and down the Savannah river with the tides.They can sometimes be caught at Fort Jackson below Savannah at times.Low tide and high water coming down the river can extend their range for miles.They most likely feed on a lot of Saltwater fish.I once had one puke up a whole small Blue Crab into my boat.I cannot imagine anything swallowing something like that.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Works great for me, but it does seem to work alot better fresh than after its frozen. fresh cut mullet works dang good too. Caught one 56 on it back in the winter.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Pogies (menhaden) make fantastic cut bait. They are very oily and bloody.

I'd be a little worried about buying a bag of them though. They spoil so fast that just sitting in a cooler of ice for a few hours makes them soft. Frezze them and they turn to mush. I wonder if they treated them with something first?

How big are these menhaden? The ones I use I catch in the rivers with a cast net and they are usually about 2 to 5 inches. Maybe they have bigger ones that are a bit tougher?

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Most of the ones that I've caught lately run 4-6 inches, but like JAinSC said, they don't keep well. I've caught so many in one cast that I have to empty some out of the net in order to get it in the boat, but I only keep what I can use, due to spoilage. I want to try brining some, but haven't done it yet.
    What I usually do, if they will be used within a couple of days, is put them in a cooler of ice (drain open) until I get home, then dry them, place into gallon zip bags with paper towels to absorb excess moisture and refrigerate until needed. This keeps them in good shape for 2-3 days.
    Flopeye, tell me more about the borax????
    I've got a recipe for brining, but just haven't had the time to try it yet.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    forgive me for asking, but what the heck is a pogie??? a saltwater fish i guess...

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You got it right.They are a species of salt water shad.They are known as Pogie-Menhaden-Shad-Herring and other local names just as some freshwater fish are.They are caught commercially for fish meal and fish oil.The last fish oil I bought at Bass Pro was a gallon can of "Menhaden oil".They often come to the surface driven by predators or just come.Usually seen in bays or close to shore on the South East Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.Schools can be all sizes and shapes from 10 ft. or look to stretch for a mile.Right on up to the largest fish in the ocean hang around them as they feed right on up the food chain.Baleen Whales also feed on them.We use to listen to them feed on sonar when I was in the navy.I once heard some coworkers tell of some "good old boys" in the good old days setting a 500 yard (yes 1500 feet) of 12 ft.deep (Hung 1/3 extra to hang loose.You actually have 18 feet of netting to hang in 12 feet.)gill net for Saltwater Trout and small Red fish at night using small boats.They caught tons,yes tons of Menhaden when a hugh school of the perfect size to get hung up swam in their net that night.Instead of reaping a fortune,they had a catastrophe and spent several miserable days salvaging what they could of the net with all of the help and boats they could beg.A miserable cold front happened to be stalled in the area at the time.They worked their jobs at day and the net all night for days as it was too heavy to get into the boats.I heard that time and the fish softening helped more than anything.I worked for years with several of the "Old Timers" that managed to get into that mess one way or the other.I think that it ended some friendships.Seems as if I ain;t the only fool that has been on the water.I love You Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    Both menhaden and mullet work great if they are fresh. But like everything else sometimes it's all they eat and other times they won't touch it. If you find your local cat's like it you'll never have to buy bait again. Get ya a castnet and you can usually more than enough in one throw. Early in the morning/night they can be caught from shore easily, but as the day progresses they move out away from shore. Still no problem if you have a boat. Only keep what menhaden you will need as they don't freeze well at all. Mullet on the other hand seem to freeze very well.

Hope this helps

Marc

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I got a Borax recipe for fish but I have not used it because my grandmothers recipe for Ant and Roach bait is similar and poison.For fish mix equal amounts of Borax,plain salt (no iodized salt) and white or brown sugar.The finer the better on the salt and sugar.Mix well as it is very hard to mix.Roll bait in mix and then refrigerate in zip lock or container up to a month or freeze for a year.Danger! Mix is poison! Grandma's Roach and Ant bait is equal parts of Borax and powdered sugar mixed well.Set bait where children and pets cannot get to it.Works great! Mixture will harden in container with time but scraped out chunks still killed Roaches 25 years after it was made. I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee