Has anybody ever tried this

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigblaze, Aug 28, 2007.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    i want to fish a live bream under a float.....but i have to do it in a river and i have to do it off the side of a boat.....now the river is not deep...maybe 3'-5' max...and there is not allot of current

i have to make sure the rig does not drift down river and tangle with the back rods...

i am thinking i could use a carolina rig with a long leader and a large baseball sized bobber with a 3-5 oz. no roll sinker....

any thoughts?????

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's what I do, except I use a 2oz. sinker, 18" leader with a styrofoam cigar float about 4-6" above the hook. It doesn't drift anywhere. In stronger current, a larger sinker may be necessary. I guess it would depend on the size of the bream on the size of the bobber.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we do that when its slow. i use a balloon on the standard slip rig. ill toss it up and to the side of the hole we are set in. gives you something to do while waiting on the bottom rigs to sound. you can also use jigs with cut bait to prob allong searching for active biters.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd use one of Wildwolf's kat-bobbers(link in my signature) and do it that way. They are made to float large live baits and they work very well!!! :big_smile:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That sounds like a good place to try using a large side-planer-board. Since there's only a slight current, I'd think a large model would work better than a small model.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I use a rig like that but I made my own float out of 2 poly-foam balls and a 5 in. length of plastic tubing. I drilled holes thru the center of each ball then glued the tube into each hole so the finished float looks like a minature dumbell or barbell. I put a 4 oz bank sinker on the main line then tie on a swivel, then run my leader thru the float and tie to the swivel, then tie a hook on the end. I ran a 7 inch piece of air-line tubing thru the larger plastic tubing and sealed it with epoxy so I could push the swivel into it to keep the float at the end of the leader. With this rig the sinker sits on bottom holding your bait in place even in current. The live bait can swim in a circle but can't get tangled up in the main line cause it goes straight down to the bottom where the sinker is. Plus the bait struggles all night trying to get below the surface. WIN WIN.