Has Anybody Ever Heard of Anachuac,TX??

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by cat-chaser, Nov 28, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think only a handful of people outside of this town of less than a thousand, including the alligators for which the area is known for, complete with an Alligator Festival every year, have any idea of what an outstanding fishing hole this place once was. I'm not speaking of the lake that bears the town's namesake, but an area between the lake and the Trinity River, which pours into Trinity Bay & the Gulf Of Mexico roughly 2 miles or less downstream. There is (or was-I haven't been there in awhile & I've heard there have been a lot of changes, so I'm describing it the way it was when I used to fish there regularly until about 5 or 6 years ago) a diversion pond that feeds an irrigation canal above the pond(the water is drawn thru pipes upward and runs right thru the middle of the town). There is a system of "gates" that bring water from the lake to the diversion pond and also another "gate" that empties into a small harbor-and then vice versa. This entire area used to be one of the best places to fish of anywhere I've ever fished since. You could regularly catch a mess of eating sized cats-blues,flats & channels-and there was always the chance that your next bite could be a lifetime best. At certain times of the year & depending on rain, with the area being so close to a major saltwater system & affected by tides via the Trinity-although this was considered a freshwater fishery mainly-there were times when the salinity levels would rise a bit & then there would be no telling what you might catch. Catfish, striped bass, white bass, huge alligator & long nosed gar, giant gasper goo (the big white ones), huge crappie (3lbs+ regularly) and sometimes flounder, redfish, sand trout, croaker and even a mangrove snapper on more than one occasion. Whenever any of these gates were open and the water was flowing pretty good in any direction, you were pretty much certain to catch something. Threadfin & gizzard shad could be easily caught in abundance with a castnet and at times even shrimp-including grass shrimp were catchable. Live minnows & worms were an option at the bait store in town but you really didn't need to buy bait because you could catch the bait that all of the fish would bite. At times the fishing was outstanding-you never knew what might come up from the murky,deep water-30-40 feet on the river side and some said there were deeper holes in the pond. I have seen some huge catfish come out of these waters. My dad caught a 60lb flatty back in '98. I remeber as a kid seeing fish the size of alligators ready to battle & bust up a few lines (gar-some 6 feet or more). I could go on & on about this place which was a favorite hole of mine for years.
    I now wish that I had taken pictures or made videos of it. I think one day I'll go out there & see what it looks like now, maybe even fish a little bit. I was just thinking about it & I wanted to share it with you guys.

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Anahuac, TX sits east of Houston, halfway between Baytown and Winnie. It sits on the northern edge of Galveston Bay. I was born and raised around the Beaumont, TX area (now live in the Dallas area). Got family that lives in that part of the world ... still has great fishing and close by has some pretty serious bird hunting (duck, geese).
    Living in a coastal area, brackish water (fresh-salty water) fishing is some of the best action you can find. Reading and watching the TIDES while fishing for fresh water cats (blues, not hard heads) is different. When the rains come and the tides are moving, you have no idea what may bite. Years ago, fishing kinda close to Sabine Pass in some slack brackish water, my brother and myself were fishing with minnows and worms with cork (bascially a white perch rig). Without moving the boat, we caught white perch, black bass, croaker, and small red fish out of the same hole.
    You are right about the monsters, when the tide moves, so does the shad in the millions. And when they are forced through a relatively small opening (gates, spill ways, canals, etc.) the big boys are in there feeding.

3. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i live in Buna TX and i visit there about 3 times a year. i have some freinds that live in winnie also. i only know about anachauc because i used to record in a small home studio in hankamer with my old worship leader.
    i didnt know about any fishing though. i will have to try it out. i am always looking for some good fishing spots. where do you live now?

4. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's 24 miles from me and it is good fishing down there.

5. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm near Lake Livingston now.I haven't been that way in years.I've been telling myself that I'll go 1 of these weekends before it gets too cold but I haven't made it yet.I really want to do some crappie jigging (of course while my cat lines are out).Some of the biggest crappie I've ever seen have come from that place.

6. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    :wink: Wallisville and Anahuac,Texas has some pretty large Catfish to their credit. Along with Redfish, Specs, And some of the largest gators you'll never want to meet! They have outlawed the word "Bitch" in the city limits so refere to a female dog as she. At least, they were going to. Sounds pretty rediculous to me! All in all, the ramp in Wallisville is excelent, it's on Army Corps of Engineer watch. The Anahuac ramp is great for the river or the upper Trinity Bay access. Just remember, the lower Trinity is suceptable to extremely low tides in the fall and winter if a northern blows thru. STAY IN THE CHANNEL IN THE BAY, til you know where you are going, even in a shallow draft boat. The river will have sand bars and low spots not normally seen, plus a whole slew of full sized trees just below the water level. The ramp on I-10 is closed due to the rebuilding of the bridge, it stays silted in. if the tide goes out, you can't get back on the ramp!! I have been left to sludging thru the mud pulling the boat back in the winter months, this was before they opened the Wallisville ramp. Good luck and good fishing.

7. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am from winnie originally, and have fished Anhuac plenty of times, also on a side note, the Texas war for independance started there at what is know known as Fort Travis, great fishing (saltwater) from the park at the Fort.

8. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I recently only heard of it from my TX history Class at TSU and it has a great importance in the history of the republic. I glad to hear it has great fishing too!