Has anybody ever caught a catfish thru the ice?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flannelman, Dec 24, 2005.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i was just curiuos, has anyone ever caught a catfish through the ice?

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Yes, I have caught alot of channels through the ice in Missouri and Iowa. We used wax worms to catch them. Biggest was close to, if not over, 10 lbs. Most were perfect pan size eaters and let me tell you, they were the best catfish I've ever eaten!!!!!!!!!!! God bless.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Here in Arkansas, I have not had the opportunity to ice fish. :D

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry, but I'm a Southern boy, and I was raised to believe that ice isn't for walking on or fishing through. I did go trout fishing in the Missouri River once in the winter. When I waded out of the deeper water into the shallows, flakes of ice fell off my waders. When I got hung up and quit casting for about five minutes, my reel froze solid. There's hard-core, then there's plumb stupid; I went home. When May rolled around, I went trout fishing again, and had better luck. Also, when I caught a trout, I could just throw it on the snow to keep it cool. As far as using a heated shelter, well, I found out when I was a kid that heat melts ice; sounds kind of like sitting on a limb, sawing it in two between yourself and the trunk.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to fish this gravel pit for crappies through the ice and used to catch channels there all the time on minnows anywhere from 6inches to 2 feet off the bottom in 40 ft of water. never really targeted them but would catch them while crappie fishing. i learned that in pits most if not all fish head to the deepest water and roam the basin following shad and baitfish. about every 15 to 20 min. on the sonar you would see the baitfish come thru first then bobbers would start disapearing shortly after. if you had one pole near bottom you would always get a channel. cant tell you if this works on natural lakes or reservoirs.

6. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Years ago when my pal and I used to do a lot of ice fishing we belonged to a Sportsman's club.
    The Crappies were hitting real steady when all of a sudden they stopped and we didn't get any bites for at least 30 or 40 minutes when all of a sudden my small ice rod went nuts and I set the hook on a Blue cat around 3 lbs. He actually hit a wax worm that was on a very small jig.
    It wasn't long before the Crappies started in again. I have always wondered if the Blue had scared the other fish off cruising around down there looking for something to eat. Schoe