has any one fish or have fished at summersville lake

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hibner54, Jul 30, 2009.

1. hibner54

hibner54 New Member

State:
    WV
    hi im new on here... im going to summersville this weekend with friends and family and was wonder if anyone has fished sumersville lake with success or if it would be hard to fish because its so deep in parts.and what depth and bait was working good for you.
    thanks
    chad

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've been there several times and it just never was my lucky day. I've talked to many other locals that do quite well there. My grandchildren do better there than I do. I just never seem to have the time to really learn the lake enough to target specific fish.
    Since I fish from a boat, I can't say much about bank fishing.
    Over all it's one of the nicer lakes around here and closest to home for me. I prefer New River or Stonewall Jackson when I can afford the trip.
    I don't see where the depth of Summersville Lake would be much of a problem. It's just a big lake with very little bank fishing access. I asked a DNR officer about that aspect and he said they just don't have enough man power to police the entire circumference of the lake, so it's not completely open everywhere to bank fishing.
    My main reason for not going more often is that the lake has an awful lot of traffic all the time. I even tried going during the week and it still had a lot of people everywhere. I like it quiet and not getting seasick from speed boat wakes all day.

3. hibner54

hibner54 New Member

State:
    WV
    thanks for your help it is a great lake excepted for all the traffic i know there is good small mouth and walleye fishing in there. earlier i read in wv fisherman that there is alot of flatheads starting to spread a lot so hopefully ill get some channels for a fish fry.

4. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Im from near summersville but never fished the lake a whole lot. What little I did fish for catfish I did well on Mckees Creek part of the lake. Typical tactics work and its shallower and flatter than most of the lake. Once you get back up in it a was the traffic dies off alot too. Know the post is a little late but hopefully it will help someone.