Has any one been on Carlyle...

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishnfwl, Sep 12, 2007.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    any one fished Carlyle past few days? Buddy told me last night that they were tearing the channels up around the islands, and went to get some whites under the tracks about 1 a.m. and couldn't get anything but channel cat to hit...LOL, bad problem huh. they were using minnows and jigs and catching 1-4 pound cats all along the rip/rap, I guess that bit of rain and the cool night have got them going?!

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the report. I hope the water and cooler temps turned them on. Brian (bwhupp) and I are going to try some jugging this Saturday.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Aaron and I are heading out there Saturday morning. Be ouyt there probably by 7-730 or so... going to do some jugging off the shad out there. Will see how we do.

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Holy crap.. we logged on and posted at the same time! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Great minds really must think alike! :smile2:

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Boats batteries charged, have an arm and a leg for gas, drinks and jugs. Let's go fishing Aaron! See you at 6am :smile2:

Any more recent trip suggestions where they are hitting? Planned on catching some shad and tossing them on the jugs. I have 19 jugs rigged and aching to get wet!

Any other bait besides shad hitting awesome out there? Need to know if I should pick up a couple dozen nightcrawlers or yank out some shrimp from the freezer. I am hoping to go cheaper with shad because I know carlyle each time I have gone have been ridiculous with numbers of shad by the trussel.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Good luck fella's, Hope ya tear'm up, also Hope the wind is not like this afternoon :tounge_out: might be a ruff ride. Brian as far as bait, we most generally use shad and/or crawdads (which were hard to come by this year) any way you may want to set a few with cut shad and then some whole I have noticed there that some days they will hit the cut better and then some they hit the whole shad better, that way you all can kinda get an idea on what they are wanting.... Again good luck tomorrow, be safe on the big water.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks Randy. Probably check a couple of locations tomorrow and see where they are. Might head out towards the islands if it isn't flooded with folks tomorrow morning as well as along the channel that runs along by it. Hopefully we can pull some eaters out no problem.

We'll see! Aaron needs fish in his freezer, so that's the game plan. I got a bunch still from my last Rend Trip.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    You 2 are gonna have so darn many it will take 4 hours to clean them all! Yea shouldn't be to bad on boat traffic, cooler weather and school back in usually not to bad this time of year, at-least with them d**m jet ski's any way.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Do you know how deep they are running out there Randy? I have 19 jugs rigged and ready to get wet. At rend the boogers were sitting in 1-2 foot of water couple weekends ago.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hey Brian, just talked to my buddy Dave (he fishes the lake just about everyday I think) said the were drifting most of the time along the tracks and islands, he guessed that they were running the bait between 1-3 feet of the bottom. Guess my best advice would be since ya'll are running enough jug lines to just start with different depths, do you have your jugs numbered? if so or another way to identify each one separately, you can set different depths and what you baited and see what starts working the best. Yes I have a pen and paper in my tackle bag (LOL) I use it to help figure a pattern, Bad Memory ya know :wink: If it gets down to what they6 are calling for tonight I would definitely start a little shallower in the early a.m.. Channel 4 said like 40*, better take yer hot cocoa in the morn. Take a bunch of pics! OH YEA, by 7ish you should find alot of shad by either of the ramps as the will warm faster from sun-up.

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well.. I am going to do the shad thing... Aaron was looking at bringing some Asian Carp and some Salmon chunks he has in the freezer. Guess we will just roll with it and see what they are hitting off of.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Man! ya'll still cleaning them fish, must be a boat load of them!

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    We didn't do too bad. Lost 3 jugs onto the big island. Did I forget to mention that it went from 8 feet to 1 foot super fast? Man was it windy and the waves drifted them faster than we could retrieve them! Oh well... poop happens :wink:

We landed quite a few big cats that took the jugs all under. Was good to see! Didn't really have any runts today. Today's magic bait was cut shad. They didn't touch the whole ones. Shad heads were not really that great either. The guts were unbelievable today. Might go again tomorrow with my pops. He was kind enough to let me take his boat out with Aaron so I can break his virginity to jugging. :smile2:

Here are a couple of pictures I took. Tossed them on the deck of the boat while he went inside the gas station to get some ice for them.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Looks like a great day was had! I was thinking about yall today and the wind down there, that ol lake can get RUFF with little help. Glad to see ya caught some nice fish. How were the shad this morning? were they balled up pretty well? or down under? Thanks for the pics, nice to look at.

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    They down under. Had to launch the net many times to get the grub for the fish. But I pulled in some monster sized shad! It was great stuff.

Well when you go out there and you see 3 beautiful orange 2 liter bottles with reflective tape at the island... do think of me all the more. LOL!

It was a good fish time. They seemed to be hitting today in about 2-4 foot depth on the jugs while sitting in 10 foot of water. Was kind of crazy, but I am not complaining. It was working!

Why exactly are some of those cats tails red? They looked even redder in person.

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    He was kind enough to let me take his boat out with Aaron so I can break his virginity to jugging. :smile2:

Brian - had a great time today, buddy. Thanks for breaking me in....to jugging, that is :roll_eyes:

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville

My pleasure bro.. Just glad I could help toss some catfish in you and your's pops belly! I fried up some of my fish for supper last night. Mmm mmm mmm!

Already replaced the lost jugs with new ones. So I am rigged to go again anytime!