has any one been fishing the kaw - Kansas River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kc river kid, Jan 10, 2008.

1. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    well i wunt to go cath some blue cat and flats any one caching any thing on the kaw? :confused2:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I will Sunday on the point and got a 8lb Channel.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I live up at the headwaters near Junction City. Call me paranoid but I'd be a little scared to eat cats caught down around K.C. Past Lawrence doesn't Dow
    Chemical dump into the Kaw? And there's other factories that have been less than careful in the past down that way. Heck, I feel nervous before I get to Topeka on the river. Good luck to you guys!

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I don't know of too many people who keep fish from the Kansas River down this way. There are lots of big fish, but it's mostly catch and release and then go catch your eaters from one of the lakes.

6. whllh

whllh New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Hi, I am new to Catfish1 so Hello everyone.
    I lived in the KC area about 12 years ago and have returned. Where are people fishing for cats from the bank in the KC area, particularly on the Kansas side.
    Thanks a million, Bubba

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Welcome to BOC and welcome back to KS. Don't to much about that area but there are alot of people that way that do.:wink:

8. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    ya i dont i take a pic then lut them go to grow old :wink: and no i was at the kaw and did no good but i did go crappie and got 16 and a two eye's .:crazy:

9. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Welcome to the BOC Bubba.

10. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    :0a23:
    I bank fish Kansas and Missouri.

11. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    last year was the first year i SERIOUSLY fished the Kaw and did good. we just bank fished but we were able to get a 25 & 37. those were the biggest. we tore em up in the 2-10 range. those ended up in the freezer & in our bellys. from what i know ya just shouldnt eat what ya catch from the low head dam in Lawrence to Eudora. you can but only a certain ammt. per serving per year.there is a sign down there and its in the KDWP books.

12. kc0dws

kc0dws New Member

State:
    ks
    I eat fish from the Wakarusa all summer long. There is NOTHING wrong with the fish. In my opinion, the added chemicals to the water make the fish taste better. :wink: BTW I am new to the BOC due to my fishing bud Pfoster.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    oh yeah, im purdy fond of the Wakarusa. we just didnt get down there as much last year as we have in the past. last year was kinda a seek & destroy mission although it turned out to be more seeking than destroying. lol found alot of new spots that show good potential. the Wakie is purdy chemical free as far as that goes. i started fishin it w/ my grand dad when i was about 6 or 7 just south of Berryton ( s. of topeka ). its always been a good producer of cats of all sizes.

14. kc0dws

kc0dws New Member

State:
    ks
    I fish downstream of Clinton lake a the Eudora dock. For the most part, I enjoy setting lines more then rod and reel fishing.

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    we put in at a ramp that aint far from Don's steak house and mostly go down stream toward the lake. once, about 3 mi. from the ramp we had a minor electrical meltdown and all was fried. well, we weren't exactly prepared and were caught w/o oars. NICE !! all we had was a couple 6 pack size coolers we were usin for bait. so we had the privledge of paddling a 17 ft. bass tracker 3 mi. up stream w/ cooler lids at about 3 am. my brother used some electrical tape to tape his lid to his hand :smile2: it DIDN'T improve his paddling i tell ya !! needless to say, we put oars in the boat when we got back !!

16. kc0dws

kc0dws New Member

State:
    ks
    I don't think I would enjoy that on the calmest of days, let alone when they really start letting water out of clinton. Oars are a must, by law, or when you're motor takes a dive and won't start. :sad2:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    we weren't below the spillway we were about a mile from where it dumps in. of course its the law but when it comes down to gas to go fishin or oars for the boat & stay at home, well, im goin fishin. lol