Has any body ever been mountain lion hunting.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by montgomery#1, Apr 20, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I was wondering if any body knows what to expect on a mountain lion hunt. I found a good outfitter here in utah that garaintees a cat in the tree. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Zeb,That's on my to do list as well. They're thick as fleas around here. Lots of the local guys have lion hounds an chase em.

3. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    The reason i ask is my cousin has a lion hunting operation and I get a substantial discount. He charges $3000.00 for a guided hound hunt. if you ever want to talk to him about a hunt go to ( hightopoutfitters.com) he also does elk and bear hunts. The area he hunts though you have to draw for lion bear and elk. you should check them out. talk to you later and thanks for replying.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey zeb in san juan county in the s.e. corner of the state there are a few good outfitters and lots of lions from what i hear. i have only seen one live lion in the wild, the next one i see is goin on the wall. we can shoot them any time here, i was just so surprised i didn't shoot!

5. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I thinks i might take a trip down to texas. Where about are you located and how much does a licence cost. I really want to go on a lion hunt. Thanks for all the info and ill talk to ya later.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Zeb,Lion licences are over the counter here,I'll check on prices. I think in TX all you need is any hunting liscence for hunting varmints if your from out of state. ,Jordan is about 100 miles east of me here in N M and this area has its fair share of lions.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    A friend of mine went on a mountain lion hunt in Southern Colorado close to Trinidad. The hunt consisted of 6 days. He never seen a lion and the dogs never cut a track. The outfitter was recommended by Fred Eichler, the grand slam man with a traditional bow. No hunt is guaranteed, but some outfitters make claims, that there place is better than others. Do your homework and ask for references. I wish you the best hunt and I hope you score on your first mountain lion. It's a good thing my friend can go back next year free of charge. Good Luck!!!

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm sure your cousin has great success on guiding for mountain lions, but there is so many determining factors on success. Like weather, food availability, etc. I was fortunate enough to score on my bear last year, even though the bears went nocturnal through out the week due to the full moon phase. With minimal sightings the first 4 days of the hunt, the fifth day was cloudy and rainy. This was the perfect day for my hunt. I shot my bear 10 minutes before dark on the last day of the hunt. WHEW!! Thanks to GOD!!

9. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Is what you dont realize is they only sell 30 tags for that area and they usually have 4 or 5 left over. And every time ive been up there ive seen sign of a couple big toms. The biggest my cousin figures was about 165 and the smallest about 130. So i think ive got pretty good chance of getting a really nice tom. thanks for the replys. and ill talk to ya later.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in texas i think you can get away with the temporary nongame license which is 45 bucks, then hunter's ed from your state will cover you here. i am in the tx panhandle which has the red and canadian rivers. i have seen lion sign at both. rivers here are more of giant sand washes than rivers with water, a mile wide at points, and all public in the banks. i have lived here 9 years and seen one lion, so i wouldn't recommend making that trip for such a slim chance. what i have read about hunting them with dogs in the mountains is you want a trip in the snow to guarantee the tracks are fresh. if you are set on texas, there are outfitters down in west texas that specialize in running them with dogs that would increase your chances of success.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey zeb i did a quick search on guides here in my state. most of them are based in texas but will take you hunting in new mexico. the rest look like they are going to take you for a 'predator package' which is driving around spotlighting for foxes, bobcats, coyotes and maybe you'll see a mountain lion. my advice there would be to not go with a bet like that! a couple of them tried to spice it up with the possibilty that you might get to shoot jackrabbits, haha. now shooting jacks is fun, but not for that amount of $!

12. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I gotta give my cousin bussiness before competition. I gotta be loyal to my family before any body else. Besides utah has alot of lions all across the state. so it really dont matter if i get a hunt or not. My cousin will take me for about 500 bucks compared to about 3000. Thats just paying for fuel and the use of his dogs. Thanks for replieng and ill talk to ya later.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    To me its not a meat animal so I wouldn't hunt them myself. I'm not saying anyones wrong, just not my thing.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Mike! I read an article in BOWHUNTER magazine the stated Mountain Lion meat is some of the best flavored wild game there is. Yeah! Just the thought of eating CAT meat makes me a little skeptical. But, heck I would give it a try.:wink:

15. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I know some orientals that said if i kill one they want the meat. They will eat almost any thing. No offence to any body out there.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have a friend here that eats mountain lions, he says next time he gets one he will give me some. when i get mine i will process it too, and the bones, heart, lungs and liver will go to my dogs. when i shoot deer and hogs my dogs get the bones and vitals. my friend eats bobcats too, but i don't think i will try that. he's more into waste not, want not than i am.

17. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Thats cool not some thing i would try though. I know a few people that do eat lions and such. I know a guy here in Utah that eats alot of stuff like that but hes kinda weird.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    this guy is from 'up north', said they eat woodchucks where he's from. he even ate prairie dogs here, says they are like a bland jackrabbit. :smile2: he thinks i am weird for eating armadillos, but oh well, we do that here! every area is going to have their specialty i guess! good luck on your lion hunt when you go, zeb!