Has a fish ever stole your fishing pole?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Apr 15, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Well guys, I have to tell you it sucked but it happened to me! You see a couple years back whiskers67 and I were fishin' on a lake in Irvine, CA. 67 had asked me a question, the bite was slow, so as stupid as it was, I sat the pole down in front of me on the ground and turned around to talk to him, it was'nt a split second later I heard a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsplash!!!!!:eek:oooh: And when I turned around all I saw were forty feet of bubbles, needless to say I was kinda dumbfounded, I knew better to do what I did, because, there are some pretty big fish in this lake, and if there was a rule book about what not to do when fishing, this would be in the top 10. We tied some trebles and raked the spot for about 30min. but to no avail. I lost a fenwick rod and a shimano reel that I just purchased recently, it was not only a blow to my ego but to my wallet as well. Lesson learned!!!! I had posted this thread on Local Indiana Talk and got back some pretty funny stories, so I thought I would try it here. Has anything like this happened to you????would love to hear your funny stories!!!:dribble:

Attached Files:

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    We'll I was gonna save this for the gathering, but here it goes. I was at Mendota Slough witha new member.....Nightowl or something like that:tounge_out: And I caught my first lil blugill for bait. Took it off and proudly hooked it to my 9 ft uglu stick and Shimano reel.
    Later bout and hour my bell jingled. I went to get up out my chair when out flew my rod.....:crazy::crazy::sad2:Needless to say I grabbed my other and began to cast. Never did get it back:sad2: I have a few more but will save for the gathering tomorrow:wink:

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Last year it happened, me and a buddy were fishin his lake in his pontoon, and I was bringin in a nice channel that ended up weighing 15 pounds, and all a sudden my other rod goes in before either of us could get to it. It wasnt a very expensive rod but it was still one of mine none the less. But I at least got a fish out of it.

4. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Sorry Robb, I did'nt want you to burn any of your stories, but hey thanks for the yarn!:wink:

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Not a problem brother, I got a bunch of em:wink::smile2::smile2:

6. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    By the way the thumbnail I added to my thread is one of those biguns I was mentioning.

7. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    A few years ago I fished opening day at Lake Pardee and saw a son loose his rod to a decent trout.A couple of hours later his father hooked a monster,but what he had was his sons rod and reel AND a good fish.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Great story. I caught a fish at the Mendota gathering the next day after it pulled in my ultra light. Caught the fish, pole and even my lighted bobber:smile2: Anyone remember that:smile2::smile2: Bert? Linz, Lloyd?

9. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Well I've never had a fish take one but my cast net did. Fishing out of a small flat bottom boat, I had a hand full of rods on the bench seat along one side of the boat. Casted the net many times gathering shad, on one cast it caught the reel handle and went over board. I reached for it barely missing it. It was about a $100 rig, so I kept casting for it with one of my other rods. Tried for about an hour with no luck, found my fishing spot and started fishing . The bite was slow so in the dark I went back to the spot and casted for almost another hour with no luck. About 3 or 4 hours later ready to head back to the boat ramp I decided to give it one more try- I'm very stubborn that way. After about 45 minutes I hooked it about 30 feet away from the area I thought it went in the water. Lesson learned I'll never do that again. The one that never got away!

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmmm Got a bunch of sad stories about my, and my buddies', rods.

How about a happy one instead?

So, one day a few years ago, a Bud and I hit the lake and are doing so good that we stayed after dark. Never planned to, keep thinking we would leave soon and did not build a fire, so bic lighters were all we had for light.

We are sitting in the dark but still catching 'em when my bud brings one in hooked deep. I take 3 steps over flick the bic so we can see and , Thunk! Splash! Yeah buddy, my Ugly Stick and Quantum baitcaster has headed for the sea at a rapid pace!

I jump in and commence to swatting around to no avail. Likewise with the snagging attempts.:sad2:

Needless to say, this kind of put a damper on an otherwise great trip.

Fast forward 3 months and I am sitting at the house doing serious damage to a case of my fav adult beverage and got to thinking that the lake should be almost down to winter pool. Mmmm,, I wonder???
    Phone call to my bud and off to the lake we go.

Bigger than pete, 50 yards off the Summer pool shore, missed by the Hunters and the ATV guys, there she lays, snagged on an old root and covered in lake slime! Looks like the line broke when it snagged.

A little scrubbing, a little oil, and while not a pretty as she once was, she is back in the arsenal and working fine! :big_smile:

Sometimes you get lucky!

11. skipjack1984

skipjack1984 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    one night at a private lake i casted out and laid my poll down to light a cigarette and no sooner flicked the lighter my pool zips through the grass and into the lake caught it back about an hour later with a 12lb blue on the business end so not so bad after all lol also last summer had a poll snapped at the cumberland city steam plant that one really sucked lol

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have another Irvine Lake story. Except this one is a little diffferent. It did not take my whole pole in, but it took the 2nd half of the rod - it was a two piece.

This happened about 13 - 14 years ago years ago at Irvine Lake. I was fishing in a rental boat. I hooked a big catfish on a mackerel piece and was fighting the fish for about 20 minutes. This was at a time that my biggest cat was in the teens so I knew this fish was finally the whopper that I always been looking for. Than all of a sudden while I was fighting the fish I come to a tangle at my my rod tip. Before I could untangle the line the second piece of my rod shoots into the water like a rocket. I was shocked at what just happened. I reeled in the line but it felt limb. The fish snapped my line, plus as I was reeling, in the second portion of my rod is slidding more and more into the water as I reel. So I lost my big catfish, and the second portion of my rod. I kept it as a souvenier for a short period but finally got rid of it, it was a bad memory. LOl :smile2:

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We've had quite a few poles jerked in over the years but have managed to drag and get all but one of them back, usually with the fish still on the pole. The one I never found was at the Cabelas classic on Milford Lake in Kansas a couple of years ago. Me and my partner were drifting along the north bank and catching lots of fish. I had just caught 2 and only had one pole left in the holder when my partner started catching and I was up front helping net his fish. When I finally got caught up I turned around and my new custom rod and new 6600 C4 was gone :eek:oooh:. We had a trail that the GPS had laid out but we never located that pole so I know it was at least a 30+ lber :wink::smile2:, would have put us in the money for sure:wink:. All BS aside most of the poles we have had jerked in over the years that still had the fish on them were mostly 5 lbs. and under but for this fish to pull this pole plumb out of the area he MAY have been a tad bigger:wink::eek:oooh::smile2:. Either way I sure miss that pole and reel but still have another set up just like it.

14. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    it happened 2 the guy next 2 me on the bank. i was ticked @ him to begin w/ coz he had that whole river to pick from & he picks a spot 8 feet up stream from me to fish his 3 poles. that means his lines are gonna drift into mine coz the river is moving fast. the pole he had set up right next 2 me was the one that suddenly took off. i tried to snag it, but the bank is all huge boulders & neither he nor i could move fast enuf to catch it. he couldnt speak any english, but i recognized "the look". it was very similar to the look on my face when my gps/sonar got run over. it was only 1 week old.

15. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    in 1981. I was a junior in high schrool. My family had a place near Branson we went to about 3 times a year. My parents let me take a buddy with us on spring break so I did. I always fished Lake Taneycomo for rainbow trout around the Rockaway Beach/Forsythe so me and my friend rented a boat one day and anchored off in a cove. I set both poles down and we were trying to solve the world's problems since we knew everything (we were 17) and I heard a KLUNK KLUNK SLASH and didn't even see it happen. My buddy went back to school and told everyone what happened. Very humiliating! My buddy graduated early and spent the next 22 years in the US Army. He retired and lives in Killeen Texas.

16. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Nope, never had a catfish do it, but one time fishing below the dam at Canton Lake in OK, I had a fellow angler jerk my rod in the water. He was on top of the dam, fishing in the stilling basin, and I was below, casting toward the dam. He hooked my line, and thinking he had a fish, he set the hook on my line and jerked it out of the holder and into the basin. I recovered the rod and reel, but that was a new one on me.

17. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    YES about 2 years ago. I was fishing out on the beach in Santa Monica. I cast out my bait (6" surf perch) with 3 oz sinker. Just put my rod in the holder, turned to get a soda, the clicker went off. I went to grab my pole, we're talking about 30 seconds of the clicker going off. just I got the rod out of the holder the reel got spooled and was ripped right out of my hand. There went a $300 dollar reel and a $190 dollar rod........ Catalina bound.

So if anyone catches a large fish with a 10/0 circle hook connected to about 350 yds of 80lb braid, I would appreciate it if you return the rod and reel.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    At Mendota WLA I was fishing for crappie off the railroad bridge behind the resort. Usually I lean my pole over the guardrail but a train had just passed over the bridge and had the pole laying on the bridge surface. Plop!
    Probably a big bass grabbed my minnow and towed my rig away.
    A local sporting goods store used to rent underwater video cameras to people that lost poles & outboard motors.

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    which time. LOL lost a few in boat, and a couple from shore. none my fault. :wink: worst one was two yrs ago from shore of colorado river just north of yuma, az. set up at night with blue gill. good run and picked up pole. was in flip flops style shoes, and as i turned with pole, my foot slipped off rock. lost balance, grip on pole and splash. immediatly, i threw wallet on ground and into water after pole. (did i forget to say this was cold time of yr and around 10:30 at night?) as i'm in air heading for water, i'm saying to myself, "stupid, it's not worth it"! never got it. first time i've ever packed up that fast into truck and got heater going too.
    gary
    felt like the biggest fish i'd ever caught too.

20. Tailgunner

Tailgunner New Member

State:
    CA.
    Years ago fishing at San Vincente lake in San Diego. I had a brand new Abu Garcia bass rig that I decided to use for catfish.. We had a number of runs that broke our other lines, so I rigged the Abu up, casted it out and settled down for the bite... After some time, I put the rod down and went to the back of the boat for a beer.. I heard a clunk and saw that the rod had slipped off the seat and was sitting on the deck. Since there didn't appear to be anything on the line, I reached in the cooler and heard the splash. As I looked over my shoulder, I saw my rod heading deeper and deeper towards submerged boulder bay.. It was gone...

Several months later we're fishing in the same spot but the water was much much lower due to the drought.. My buddy said "You know, your rod is probably still down there and it looks pretty shallow". I stripped down to my boxers, eased over the side and with water up to my chin, started feeling with my foot.. After about 10 minutes, I felt a fishing rod with my foot and dove down to get it.. Yep, it was my Abu, covered in Algae, a nice birdsnest on the spool and other than that, in great shape!! What I think happened, is that during the first run, the reel (in free spool) birdnested and hit the deck.. The second run pulled it over the side. Fortunately, the fish got away too..