Has a fish ever stole your fishing pole?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Apr 11, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Yes it has happened to me! I was fishing a little lake in Irvine, Ca. with whiskers67, and as stupidity got the best of me, I laid one of the poles I was fishing with on the ground in front of me and turned around to answer a question 67 asked me, and I mean it was'nt a split second later and I heard a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsplash! I turned around and all I saw was 40 feet of bubbles, my jaw layed open and I could'nt say a word,:crazy: I lost the Fenwick rod and Shimano reel I had recently purchased. Needless to say we tied some big treble hooks and dragged the lake for about 30 mins. but to no avail. I could'nt even get mad, for what my own stupidity. I'm glad we can laugh about it now! Has this ever happened to you?:smile2:

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i lost the first pole i ever had. i can still see the black and white zebco 202 bent over the railing,then gone, on my aunts house boat on the Apalachicola river fl. this was in the mid 70s but it is still fresh in my memory. lol

fishgeek, do you have a story for this thread? hehe

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    ive had a few come pretty close, one even went in the water, but havent lost any..

as far as i know i havent lost any poles to fish, unless they can walk, and get them out of the back of the truck, in broad daylight, while im in the backyard cleaning fish:confused2: im still ticked off about that one!

4. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Dude that really sucks, I would rather catch my old lady cheating on me with my best friend, then someone taking my poles!!!!!:eek:oooh:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Lost 2 over the years while carp fishin. Got one back with the carp still on the hook. LOL! Only takes a second and them big boys will get ya. LOL!

6. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I have not only lost a pole but was yanked in the river by a fish.Happened a few years ago below McAlpine Dam. What ever it was hit on a 4 in bluegill and had a 14ft pole bent over.Worse part it happened in the middle of the night scared my son half to death. One minute standing next to him next I am gone in the water. Still wonder how big that fish was.:eek:oooh:

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I lost a pole once when I was little, no warning at all. About 15 minutes later my dad catches this catfish with a hook in it's mouth, after pulling in the line attached, I got my pole back.

Ever since then I've taken dives in the white river, eagle creek, and various other waters. I've lost some glasses by doing so, but never lost another pole.

I've since discovered the wonderful clicker. :roll_eyes:

About 3 years back my cousin lost a zebco, we later seen it floating on the water and waved down some guy going by in a conue to get it for us.

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Two years ago we went camping, it rained the entire time, tents leaked, ect, so we got no sleep. When we got home we decided to take a nap before we unloaded the truck, big mistake. We came back and all our poles and tackle were gone, nothing else was touched. The cop we talked to said there ought to be a special place in hell for people who steal other peoples fishing gear.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ah LOL... I was fishing off a dock and this gorgeous gal walked out to talk to me... I had be dying to talk to her for awhile- and there she was- walked all the way out there in a dress and heels just to talk... I laid my pole down, and while I was talking to her, I heard an odd scooting noise, then a splash... instinct caused me jump in after it.... she laughed at me and never talked to me again....:sad2: lol

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i lost a pole at cheney Lake in Kansas. it was the first time i used a salamander. I casted it out and then i had to take a whizz turned around to take care of business and heard click clack click clak splash my pole got drug over some pretty big rocks and never to be seen again. I jus wish i knew what it was? Live and learn, lol :eek:oooh:

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    We had gone fishing one night down a hill to a creek. Put a 6pack of cokes in the rocky water as a cooler. Couldn't have been there much more than 10 minutes , one of the poles went in the water with absolutely no warning at all period. Later it started to rain & we had to drive back up the hill on a rocky dirt road.:sad2: That was more than 35 years ago.:smile2:

12. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well I lost one last year at my buddys pay lake. I thought I turnd on my clicker but i didnt! I turnd around to get a beer and Lets just say the tears wanted to fall. But the funny thing is my buddy calld me 3 days later and he told me he caught a 46 lbs. flatty and he still had my pole with him!!

13. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well I havn't lost a rig since I was a kid, but my wife lost a nice new shimano combo last summer.

Sitting there on the bank, fishing, relaxed, all of a sudden a big strike on my wifes line. Almost like the fish "backed up the hill" to get a run at it.

Tore it right out of her hand, it bounced twice and was gone. About 30 seconds later a big carp starts jumping and cutting up right in front of us. We figured it was him still hooked. Tried to cast past and hook the line, but no go.

My wife still shakes her fist at "that dang carp with my rod stuck up its @#$! So she got a nice carved wooden carp for Christmas. With the tip of a fishing rod coming out of its neither regions, complete with hook, line and sinker.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There is!!! the first pole I lost was when I was a kid. I went fishing at a paylake all night and was in the coffee shop only about 20 yards away watching my lightsticks through the window and drinking coffee. I had just bought the new 808 and a daiwa rod the night before. I decided to put a big bluegill on for bait before I walked away. I thought I released it before I left. I was looking for my bobbers and thought they had drifted and it would take a second to spot the glowstick. I'm straining to see when the pole doubled over and flipped over the railing about 15 feet in the air. I didn't have time to even sit my coffee down. I've lost a couple since then. But only small bait poles that I decided to fish with during the night. I lost one in shelbyville last year that had only a 1/4 inch piece of night crawler on it.

15. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :0a15: Please a Moment of Silence for thoughts and prayes for the Rod-N-Reel Graveyards throughout the world..Ever let someone borrow a setup only to see them lose it.:0a5:.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i haven't lost a set-up yet but last fall i was fishing with my buddy and he turned his back for a second and his pole shot into the river like a rocket, we both just stood there dumbfounded, after about 15 mins of casting down river a bit i snagged his line and got his pole back, never did see the fish:confused2:

17. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    lost a 33 classic at racoon lake carp fishing when I was 12, old man yelled at me for days. Have not lost one since.

18. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    my father an i were drift fishing hatteras inlet for flounder ,best fishing trip ever as far as amount of fish caught,get back to story,we were fishing 2 rods apiece i had a hit on rod in holder,so i layed my other rod down in stern of d/w fisher it was down beside fuel tanks with maybe 6 in,sticking out over gunnel . iwas in process of landing about a 2 lb flounder when i heard a slamm in the stern looked saw rod bounce reel catch on side for a second ,before it bounced up an hit water a good 10-12 ft from boat ,and gone. GOD i wish i could do this again my father passed away about 2 years ago,

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Lost one back in 73 during the flood.Was fishing some back waters and it was pretty windy.Had the pole propped up in a forked stink to no avail.Fish hit and bye,bye.All I could do was stand and watch it.Now I use Pole Holder's.It was a famous 202 reel.Hey back then they was the going thing.

20. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Never lost one but came close a few times. Did watch bigcatfish64 dive in the back of my boat for his ultralight while cat and carp fishing a few years back on the wabash river. The near misses caused me to purchase the 5 rod holders I have on the boat now along with reels that have bait clickers. By the way bigcatfish64 jumping in the back of my boat for his rod/reel was taped with a camcorder. It was a real hoot to look back at this video.:smile2: