Hartwell Shad

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I finally caught my first shad *** yay **** !!!

http://imageigloo.com/images/2096100_1858.jpg

Like others I'm sure.....I have bought cast nets over the years. I never could throw one and when I did I lost them pretty fast. I finally gave up until the end of last year because I can't afford the bait prices. This time I practiced in the yard for days until I was confident in my throwing....Step one was complete.

Step 2 : Finding bait...well this is still hard because I shore fish but I've learned a few tricks that I hope will pay off. Vie been blind throwing this darn net for awhile and haven't found anything until last night......yes night time was the trick for me. I caught one crappy and one shad, ( no laughing ) LOL.....Its a start.

The hunt is still on but at least I'm gaining ground. It's so nice to see your hard work to pay off once in awhile isn't it..... I know a lot of you guys catch them by the net full....can you remember you first shad ? I'm sure you were excited as I am !!

Here is a link that I thought was really good for Identifying a lot of fish types. We all run across a fish here and there that we aren't sure what it is.

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/TWRAFishPhotoGallery.htm

Any tips and tricks you guys may have, throw them on my thread and maybe some others can benefit from it as well. If I start doing well you local SC boys that I fish with are welcome to my catches ; ) No one has helped me but I ain't like that ; ) I'm willing to share to help a brother in need -BoC-

-Jim-

2. StankBaitHooker

StankBaitHooker New Member

State:
    Clemson SC
    Now thats gotta be the best darn news i've heard! Congrats! Now that you got some confidence we should give it a try off my boat. Hows you weekend looking....I should be free fri,sat,sun...so let me know. GJ again.:big_smile:

3. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Sounds cool Rich. We got on the boat today but couldnt even mark many fish today. I did try for more shad but only got 1 more, LOL. It was my 1st time throwing on a boat also so I wasnt as good as I wanted but still....not bad. Stay in touch cause I got all weekend to fish.

-Jim-

4. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Just keep throwing. The first shad that I caught were threadfins. Happenned by a school of them going fishing. I had forgot my cast net so back to the house I went. Ended up catching over 150 that day. It was every throw. Then I started catching some gizzard shad later in the summer. Now there is no water where I was catching them so I am going to go find them later this week or next. Hope you find some more.

5. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I throw the wally word 5' net and was wondering how deep I can go and still catch fish. I'm sure my net isnt heavy enough to go deep and today I was throwing in some big schools in about 12' of water but the net was coming up empty * shrugs *. I could have just plain missed them but I just want to make sure I don't need heavier weight or something else.

Thanks
    -Jim-

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well congrats on your first shad hope u catch a bunch it aint hard ! :wink:

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have always heard that the deeper you go the bigger the net you need. If the fish are deep enough the net is closed before it gets to them. I have a 10 ft one that I am going to try in deeper water. Hopefully it will work.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    jimmy try the backs of creeks and backs of long coves. that is where I have always caught gizzard shad from. I prefer late afternoon after the water has warmed up in the shallows, that seems to hold them in the area better.

9. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Its always been easier for me to catch bait at night!!! if you have a boat you can tie up under a bridge or just anchor up and draw threadfin and herring in with a light.....the brighter the better....I use 400 watt high pressure sodium with a generator but you can use floating headlights or hanging lantern off the side....even caught some off docks b4 with a lantern held close to the water........if you are in deep water you should try turning light source off b4 you cast....bait usually takes 30-45 minutes to show up for me on hartwell. this time of year the threads i catch are pretty small 3/8 mesh is a must 1/2 is too big bait gets gilled or swim out of it......just bought a 1/4 mesh net today hope to try it out this weekend. on another note threads work well for stripers this time of year, caught a 26 pounder on the 8th of jan while fishing SBCC tourney, on a little old threadfin:wink:

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    You are right on about the threadfins for stripers. I have caught quite a few stripers lately that had threadfins in them.

11. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Great info guys, it is well appreciated. We did the light thing also, that's how I caught my one shad. We weren't able to stay long enough to draw them in but it was 2 boys with a new toy so we had to at least go try, LOL. Turning out the light was mentioned by Bambu also but I guess we forgot about it at the time.

We were there for a good hour but how long would you recommend staying in one spot if you don't see any shad ? I don't mind waiting it out but do you guys advise moving after say two hours without a sign of Shad ( at night/lights ) ? Besides that question there its all up to me now to use what I've learned, I'm getting closer ; )

Thanks again guys
    -Jim-

Last week Bambu's 12.5 striper had every bit of 10 threadfin shad and a 6' perch or bream in it..It was hard to tell what it was. Is there white perch in Hartwell ? If not it was a bream.

12. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Hartwell has perch in it, its getting a very good population of them.

13. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Jimmy, you can also try windblown banks when the wind is kicking.

14. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
  15. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice bass jimmy if the classic was going on you might would have got swarmed lol.

16. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    Very nice bass! You lucky you! Live shadling?

17. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    you say bass works for cat bait, how bout striper?

18. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I know alot of people that use striper for cats as cut bait, never caught one small enough to try live for a flattie though.

19. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice Bass Jimmy!! :crazy: