Hartwell Herring

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nanny patrol, Jun 14, 2008.

1. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    We're heading to Santee Cooper on Thursday and we try to catch enough herring on Hartwell to last us a couple of nights. The less we spend on bait , the easier we can justify the fuel bill:eek:oooh:. Anyhow, my question for you Hartwell catters is "WHERE'S TH' BAIT"? I guess more specificaly, where's the BIG bait. Normally we get it at the Swirl Hole, but lately there dont seem to much there and its a lot smaller than it usually is by this time of the year. I'd appreciate any info and if you anywhere at Santee to catch it , that would be great too. Thanks a lot, Mike

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    try the bridge there where the stevens plant used to be at night. put out lights and they should come in there was tons of bait in that area last weekend but it wont be much longer and they will be headed to deeper water and alot harder to catch.

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    You need to catch some before you go. My Pa in law was at Harrys last weekend and it was $9 a dozen for bluebacks!!!

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    If you're serious about alot of big bait, I recommend going down to Calhoun Falls below Lake Russell dam and catch them. You can load up if you have a good light and know how to throw a big net. Most of the bait at the shops around here come from below Russell dam. Yeah you'll spend 15-20 dollars in gas,but the bait is free.