Hartwell 2010

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Jan 4, 2010.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Fished Hartwell with CJim yesterday, our 1st trip of the year. We hit the water around 2pm and set a 10 rod drift for Stripers.......well I set my 2 rods out for cats ; )

We fished a creek arm ( StriperSteve's 2nd home,hehe....cant say where it is sorry ) in depths of 45' down to 12'. The bite was slow to almost none. Light wind and cold temps can make trips like this a lot harder on ya but fishin with friends keeps yer mind off it some.

Drug gizzards, bream, threadfin, shiners, and my frozen bluebacks. The gizzards got smacked a few times on planer boards but the darn fish wouldn't hook up ( still fun to watch ). We even ran stinger hooks and let the boards sit after they got whacked to see if they would turn back around or even to let the next fish hit it....but no, they wanna play hard to catch.

Finally around 5-ish my slinky rod smacked down and I had me a little fight on my hands. Out of all the nice bait we had he wanted a frozen herring, LOL...go figure. He was a 20# class fish, really thick and plump. He stuck himself on the bottom like a flathead. He's my first fish of 2010, off my 1st trip...wish we saw more but I won't complain, he was a pretty sight to see.

I hope this year with the new water and all helps the fishing....so far it's been a disaster. If ya plan to fish Hartwell ya better bring yer Mojo cause she aint givin her fish up easy ; )

I'm getting ready now to hit the lake in my boat alone to see what I can find. Gonna be rough out there this week but I'll keep at it ; )~

-Jim-

The fish was released as always.....

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Go get'em JJ! Thanks for the pic and report. "AARRRRRRR"!:wink:

3. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Great catch, looks as if you were ready for the cold

4. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    nice fish jimmy,gonna try to get out there this week some myself..keowee river or maybe the hot hole.too many chores & cabin fever...:crazy:

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    WTG, Jimmy! That's the way to start off the new year :smile2:

6. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Good fish JJ, better get your ice auger out if you're fishin this week. Good luck:wink::big_smile:

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  8. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Jim, I am glad to see you are still wearing them out! Great catch!

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    nice fish i have yet to break in the new year on the water

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great job, Jim!! I KNOW that you are ready to hit the water with your boat!

BB in SC

11. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    well,i broke into.. (i believe that particular place & time is called "skunktown".):laugh1:still great to get out.

12. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Way to go Jimmy...now that deer season is over (and the deer can rest now) Ill be back out there on the water...hope to catch up with ya!!!

13. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Great fish and report. Thanks from Georgia.