Harris Lake(North Carolina) - using bread for bait?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sew5959, Mar 17, 2006.

1. sew5959

sew5959 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i am new to the web sight, but i have been cat fishing for about 3 years now, mostly around the Smithfield area in the neuse river. i am wanting to try some lake fishing and was told to try harris lake. i was also told that using bread for bait was the way to go. can anyone back that up or have any other suggestions for that lake?

2. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Shaun, I believe I would go with some kind of fresh cut bait. I think that would work better. Shad if you can get it. Good luck

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im with jeff on this one but i have caught catfish on bread around piers where people feed the fish. bread just seems to hard to keep on the hook when bottom fishing.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Carry you a pound of FRESH jumbo shrimp. Don't shell em , just run a 3/0 to 5/0 hook right through them from head to tail. Well worth the 6 bucks or so.
    Shrimp has always been a good bait at Harris for channels , bullheads, and even some nice flatheads.
    Large minnows work well too or some of the resident threadfin shad.

5. shawn_donna

shawn_donna New Member

State:
    rutherfordton nc
    where is harris lake

6. sew5959

sew5959 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thanks Guys For All The Help, You Are Right About Bread Being Hard To Keep On The Hook. Harris Lake Is In New Hill Off Of Highway 64 Between Cary And Sanford Nc. It Is Actually A Very Nice And Clean Lake To Spend The Day Tubing Or Skiing. The Only Bad Thing Is That The Main Boat Ramp Is Small And Very Narrow. But There Is Not Much Traffic. I Cant Wait To Try Out All Of Your Ideas, Thanks A Lot. Mark J Do You Have Any Suggestions As To How Deep To Fish Or Where To Try. Thank You Again To Everyone.

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    hey sew5959

you should give Jordan Lake a try it's relatively close to Harris....

we always catch fish...(no monsters) but I bet there in there

we catch our cats on fresh cut bait...eels and shad

Jordan also has the Haw river and stripers!!!!:)

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    During the day I'll fish 10-25 feet deep on merging creek channels or channel intersections.

Dusk to dawn I fish the flats. Find a flat with deep water close by.
    A good flat to fish Is right across the lake from the New Hill ramps.
    You would be looking at the power plant. To the right of the plant there is a point that extends into the lake. That is a big flat.

I would suggest getting a map of Harris so you will know where the railroad beds are. There is a deep railroad bed and a shallow one on that lake. Both have been productive for me at various times.

Fish the left bank and right bank before you get to the rope that blocks access to the dam off. I've pulled some of my biggest off that left bank.
    Alot of fish in the 15-30 pound range. The right bank has alot of pebble rock on the bottom. Rocky bottom holds cats, particularly in the spring. They'll bed there.
    Harris was always one of those finicky lakes catfishing. Either they were on or they were off completely. I've sat out there all night without a bite and at 4AM every rod on the boat gets slammed at the same time and the action would be furious for 45 minutes and quit.
    Other times I have been I got tired of catching cats and packed up and went home.

9. lovetocatchcats

lovetocatchcats New Member

State:
    NC
    Use to camp on the point Mark is talking about (cant camp there anymore) -we always use to catch alot of smaller cats and crappie. Lots of crappie! one morning i got up and walked to the lake- there was hundreds of baby blues around the shore. so there must be big one in that lake if i've caught the smaller ones while crappie fishing.

10. sew5959

sew5959 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mark j, thanks for your advise. i am really glad i found this web sight. it has helped alot.

11. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Fished Harris today it was one of the off days. No cats. couple crappie and 5 or 6 brim. one small bass my friend caught. Really nice day on water. Maybe next time.