Harris Lake 7/8

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 01 Mudslinger, Jul 9, 2006.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Went out again last nite, man it was chilly, water temp was 85 degrees. caught a bunch of small channels and again like 3 small flatheads, nothing worth braggin about last nite, no bites or nothing after 10pm. fished till 3 this morning then packed up and came home. used chicken livers caught everything on that, cut bait didnt get nothing.

2. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Well at least you caught something. Keep it up ! You will learn Harris one of these days and be telling us about the monster cat you pulled out! A bad night or day fishing bets a good day at Bragg dosen't it ? Still waiting to show you that short-cut. Only 22 miles from here to the Corrinth ramp at Harris.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would say that a bad night fishing is better than a good night's sleep. lol. Keep your bait in the water you never know when the big one will hit.

4. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Sounds like a plan, 2 trips to harris and back in my truck with the boat is a full tank of gas, i may go friday nite, not sure yet, lookin like rain, and the ol ladies B-day is sunday so she shuttin me down. haha but ill let ya know something

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Have you got a Harris map yet?
    They use to have them at the visitors center free at the nuke plant.

When you get one let me know. We'll mark that sucker up with some fishing holes.

6. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    hadnt got one yet, ill get one though, they got em for sale at wally world i know

7. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    The bait shop down in Fuquay (401)has a map of Harris that has GPS coordinates...it also shows the old rail road/road beds and best of all it's waterproof...I think I paid about 8-9$ for it last year.

8. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    For some reason the Channel Cats in Harris like bread. Can't figure out why but they do. Take a whole piece, ball it up tight and slide it on a 5/0. Try that with the other baits you are throwing.......

Not that it really matters I suppose, but those "baby Flatheads" your catching are Bullheads. There are a tone of em in there and they love anything dead. Matter of fact, I have caught them on plastic worms a time or two fishing for bass.

Those Bullheads and the ever expanding White Catfish population have made that lake more frustrating lately when targeting the very large Channels that live there.

Try the point on the left as you enter Little White Oak. The one near the keep out buoys. It is basically right across the lake from the Holleman ramp. That point has more shad on the surface after dark than anywhere I have been. The big Channel in my avatar came from that spot in 5 feet of water.

9. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    I was beginning to wonder about the bullhead thing, seems like thats what gets caught the most. i had never seen one to know for sure. Ill give that point a try one nite, appreciate man.

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    greggofish the picture in your avatar would suggest you caught that cat in colder weather....what time of the year would you say the catfishing is the best on these lakes (Falls, Jordan and Harris...)

The question goes out to all...not just greggofish