Harris Lake 7/3-7/4/06 catfishing report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 01 Mudslinger, Jul 4, 2006.

1. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    I finally get to give a good report. put the boat in around 6pm kinda did alittle riding and checked out some spots till about 7 and then set up in a small cove off one of the main channels. Didnt get any shrimp today, we had worms,minnows,livers,doughbait, and bream. we tried it all. In the first spot we caught probably 9 small channel cats and 4 small flatheads on all chicken livers. After it got dark we moved to the right bank at the dam that Mark had told me about and casted into that first small little cove. Pulled 2 channel cats that were 7lbs. and another that was 5lbs. and again a bunch of smaller ones. was pretty steady action all nite till we packed up and left around 1:45am. I enjoyed myself. thanks for the tips Mark.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hey buddy, my fishing holes are yours. I'd like to mark up a map for you sometime.
    There are some big ones out there.

3. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    I appreciate it man, yourself, Fishing Fred and Tristen have been a great help to me down here putting me on some good spots to fish at cape fear, harris and jordon which i dont think ill be goin back too now that ive been out on Harris, i really like that lake, not so rough and the crowds are tolerable. again thanks to all yall, i just got done cleaning the fish, now i got em soaking and mmm i can almost taste em already.:big_smile:

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Mark if you had your choice would it be Jordan or Harris i think I know mudslingers answer????

SO THERE ARE FLATHEADS IN HARRIS........

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    blaze, the biggest cat I've ever tangled with was in Jordan.
    On a whim I threw out a 3rd rod with the biggest hook I had left and that was a 5/0 gamakatsu baited with a small bream.

After a 10 minute fight and the flathead doing the roll several times I lost him.
    When I reeled in, my hook was still tied on. Only the eye and a quarter inch of shank was left on this brand new hook.

I'd still like to spend more time on Jordan because I know there are big ones in there but you gotta wade through a bunch of little ones to get to them.

Harris would get my vote for consistency on medium big fish from 10-30 pounds over Jordan. But I wouldnt fish Harris unless it was mid week or a Friday night.
    That lake gets alot of pressure and gets stirred up over the weekends and the fishing doesnt get back to normal until several days later.

6. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Agree totally with Mark. I'm only about 25 miles from Harris and about 30 miles from Jordan so I fish both a lot. If you can go during the middle of the week I like Harris. Have seen some nice channels caught on shrimp near the damn where Mark was talking about in a recent post. Use your depth finder and look for the creek channel. Being smaller its a little easier to find fish. One problem though is the hydrillia in Harris. It might make it better for the bass fishing but I curse the ones that put that junk in Harris. This year its farther out into the lake than ever. You can hardly find anywhere you can reach the bank anywhere except the landings. ( Be sure to carry a can or something in the boat for quick relief ! ) Do find some good fish along the edge of the grass lines. If you run into a patch you can bet it will stall you no matter how much horsepower you have ! Have had to get in the water and cut it off my prop. Jordan is big enough that you can usually get away from the pleasure riders and jet skis anytime. Usually up the Haw you don't have as many skiers and those BIG pleasure boats. Have really had some scary experiences on the main lake with some of those but thats a story in its self. Another kinda unknow place is the Cape Fear, Haw and Deep River at Hwy.42 boat ramp. Not a lot of people fish this section and have done really good there . Pretty section of the river and cool this time of the year. Its almost between Harris and Jordan and easy to find. Do have some Bass tounaments sometimes on the week-ends. Saw cruisinman up there Sat. and he had a large Flathead they had caught off the bank ( still Alive ) . Good luck wherever you fish. Sorry for getting long winded, love to talk as much as fish.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sounds like a great night of fishing. Glad you got a couple big ones. Persistance pays off brother. Good luck on the water.

8. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    yea im gonna have to stick with Harris Lake, cuz for me right now, weekend fishing is just relaxing after the hellacious weeks i have in the military, so just sittin out on the water listening to waves and birds and catching some fish big or small just helps me keep it all together. Ill be glad when the rain stops for a while so the river will calm down so i can get back out at Riverside.

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I hooked into a MONSTER this past spring (broke 50 lbs. power pro) up by the island where the haw comes into jordan...I like Jordan but have not had much catfishing experiences at Harris....caught allot of bass but never tried for cats.. might have to give it a try.....

Fishing Fred there is a gas station on your way out of 42 headed to the dam side of Harris...there is allot of pictures of BIG flatheads in that gas station that have been caught in that stretch of river you speak of..I think most of them were caught limb lining though.

Mark J. you said something interesting on several of your posts..FLATHEADS! So THERE are flatheads in Jordan and Harris?????

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Blaze, yes, both have flatheads. I've caught them on both lakes.
    There were 30 pound flats coming out of Harris 18 years ago.

11. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    You are right John. When you leave the ramp on 42 and head up river the old limb lines look like christman decorations hanging from the trees. Last week-end there were lots of lines with no hooks that I saw. Sometimes I would like to take them down when you can tell no one uses them anymore but I guess that 's the Game Wardens job. Leaving trash in and on the river is one of my pet peeves. Like Mark J have seen Flatheads caught at Jordan and Harris for years. Should be some monsters in both by now. I believe the ones in Harris were put there by fishermen. No reports that I know of by NCDWR stocking any. Don't believe they were officially stocked at Jordan. Plenty have been caught right below the Jordan dam. The area below the dam is a good place to net shad but have to be careful of hanging up on the rocks. I wonder if it would be legal to float a small gill net when you were up there on your boat ? Have read about the guys in Virginia using them up that way. Also there are two restricted and very "OFF LIMITS" small ( a couple thousand acres each ) lakes above the main Harris lake I would really like to fish again. No one since 9-11 allowed to go there.