Harold Ensley 1913-2005

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by GaryF, Aug 24, 2005.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Harold Ensley, who brought the outdoors to life for millions of television viewers through his “Sportsman’s Friend” television show, died Wednesday afternoon at his home after a long battle with heart problems. He was 92.

His passing marked the end of a colorful era in Kansas City. The Overland Park man became a household name here, serving as one of fishing’s most visible ambassadors.

His popular TV show was one of the first nationally to feature fishing, and it lasted 48 years — a testament to its popularity. Even after it went off the air following the 2001 season, Ensley wasn’t forgotten.

People would still line up to greet him and exchange fish stories with him at the Kansas City Sportshow, proof of his long-lasting appeal.

“Harold was like ‘sterling’ stamped on silver,” said Dave Perkins, longtime director of the Sportshow. “He was a legend.

“I’ll tell you this. He will be missed. He was one of a kind.

“There won’t be another one like him.”

A memorial service, which is open to the public, will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Overland Park Church of Christ, 13400 W. 119th Street.

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I met him a couple of times at the sport show. He was always nice and willing to sign autographs.

3. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    He did a promo at Walmart in Leavenworth when I was about your age Sean. He gave me his autograph as well, I was so happy that he did, I bought the fillet knife he was selling. I've moved on to different cutlery but my son uses it now to this day.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    That's to bad. I saw him at the Topeka sports show2 years ago and he didn't look well then.

Used to watch his show as a kid, the world stopped moving at Grandpa and Grandma's house when the Sportsman's Freind came on.

How about these......Country Squire, Great Slave Lake and of course The Reeper. Every outdoors shop on TV right now owes a big thank you the Harold.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Just got home from work.610 a.m. was doing a tribute on Brents outdoor show.Had his son Dusty on,up untill a few days ago Harold said he would be on it.What a great life he had-bet he had no regrets.
    GOD BLESS

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Gary, thanks for posting the notice, haven't seen it in any local rags yet. I recently read a very good article about his early years in TV, how he did it all, the films, production etc. Very interesting article. Sorry to hear about his passing. I always watched his shows too.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I grew up watching Harold Ensleys "Sportsman Friend" shows. He was the first to bring us all his fishing adventures via TV and promote our Great sport. You will be sorely missed Harold, rest in peace brother.

8. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I grew up watching Harold Ensleys "Sportsman Friend" and Learned more from him and my grandpa when I was a youngen, than I have learned since. Catfished One night with both of them, and a better fishing trip I've never since had. Now both have passed in search of new waters.
    The "Sportsman Friend" and my Grand Pa. Rest in peace and you are missed. This life was Good, the next will be better
    JayGonefishing

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    He is the one who introduced us to modern methods of fishing. I'll always remember his early spring trips to Bull Shoals and his crappie fishing. Most of us had never heard of ultra light fishing until Harold showed it on The Sportsman's Friend. His quail hunting trips were some of the best ever filmed. I hope he's taken that "red country squire" to some heavenly bass or crappie hole and landing one ten pounder after another.

10. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    He is the one who introduced us to modern methods of fishing. I'll always remember his early spring trips to Bull Shoals and his crappie fishing. Most of us had never heard of ultra light fishing until Harold showed it on The Sportsman's Friend. His quail hunting trips were some of the best ever filmed. I hope he's taken that "red country squire" to some heavenly bass or crappie hole and landing one ten pounder after another.

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its too bad to hear that he is gone. May he RIP.

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ive met Harold several times here in Olathe at the Olathe Medical Center. For some reason, when I was having some health problems I would run into him coming or going himself. He was a real down to earth guy who did not think so highly of himself to be friendly with the likes of me even when he was not feeling well.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I really hate to hear of Harold's passing. I remember watching his show every sunday evening during dinner with my grandparents. First it was the Sportsman's Friend, and then The Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins....See Jim wrestle the 20' croc...he may not have pinned it...but he did beat it on points...Ouch Jim...that poison dart that that Zulu tribesman shot you with in the butt must have hurt! But back to Harold...I especially loved seeing the shows he filmed at our local strip pits here in SE Kansas (Big Brutus Pit and the Sportsman's pits) and also the show he did at the Chetopa dam on the Neosho river...it was amazing how much narrower the river was back then than it is now! I also enjoyed seeing him catch rainbow trout out of Lake Taneycomo Missouri at the very same spots my grandpa used to take me when I was a kid. He'll be sorely missed...and the sport of fishing has lost a living legend.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    The article I mentioned above about Harold Ensley is in the July/August 2005 issue of the Kansas Wildlife and Parks magazine.