harmonicas?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wil, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    does anyone own one or know how to play one? i got one to help keep myself intertained for those slow nights chasin them rascly cats but i cant figure out how to play just a single note.. any pointers would be greatly appreciated

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You have to play some notes by blowing in, and other notes by sucking out. They're a heap of fun when you get the hang of it.
    Bill in SC

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Got my dad a harmonica and lesson kit for Christmas last year, he can play songs on it now!

Check your local book store for music books there is a slug of them out there! Dad's came with a cd so he could hear what it is supposed to sound like...

Good luck!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried many times to learn to play one, could never get the hang of it.

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i know you have to blow in and out for different notes but im trying to just get one note to come out

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    maybe its broken or something. you can only get it to work by blowing in the correct side. if you blow into it backwards, nothing will happen. they come in different keys. for instance, if you buy a g harp, its only the range of g, f, d, so on. if you buy a c harp, you get the picture.

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    what im trying to do is get it to not be in harmony.. idk if that makes sense but im tryin to figure out how to block unwanted notes from coming out

8. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Given the size and the spacing of the holes, you might be able to combine lips and tongue to block out the unwanted holes. However, I've had to use my fingers.

-- Rich

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have always been told the harmonca is a combination of several notes, tones that produce the sound..if you want it to sound like what you hear on the radio you need to buy one of those large buggers or one of those things the Chilites (spelling) used to use in their band. It was large with piano type keys that you blew on through one end. Learn to breath in and out through the harmonica and don't worry what it sounds like at first..just my two cents worth..

10. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey Will, free lesons on youtube. I bought my buddy one for Christmas and he gets lessons on youtube and he's doing good. As for me, I just kept at it till it started workin.

good luck.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Wil, it's all in the tongue and the lips.

You can indeed play one note at a time, but you have to start working that harp like you're sucking a lemon, bro.

I've played a harmonica for quite a few years--can't say that I'm the best, but I'm passable enough to record a few licks here and there when needed.

My dad bought me a Hohner concert harp about twenty years ago when he was in Germany. It's a chromatic model with the slide button that lets you play the entire scale. It's easier to hit the "black" notes, but it makes me lazy in note bending.

With enough practice, you can hit every note without the chromatic model; once again, it's all about restricting air flow to make a note go flat, which is you see professionals covering the harp completely, then opening up to work the note back up.

Keep at it; have fun. If nothing else, all of that hard work will make you a far better kisser! :wink:

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Will it's the tongue dude. And similar to the "lil man in the boat" situation.
    When ya figure it out...it's like....Oh, it's there.
    :smile2:
    It's all part of the "Blues".

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've killed a lot of harps in my time bending those high notes.Time and practice is what it takes along with a natural ear for music. After a few years if you still cant get the hang of it quit. Not every one can play. There is nothing worse than a tone def harp player! :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2: lol

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    haha well thats one thing i dont neep help with but ya it would be a good thing

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    You better ask her about that! :tounge_out::smile2:

16. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    Jeremaid said it all. I know it sounds difficult, but you actually place your lips on one side of the desired "hole" and your tongue on the other sound. That blocks off the ajoining notes.

And as Bootshowl stated it's very similar to the little man in the boat action.:eek:oooh:

17. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I can play, and to get a single note you just have to know where the note is it and block the other holes with your tongue.

Didnt' bother to go through every thing here, but that's how ya do it.

I am self taught, and there are books out there that will teach you the notes. I used to be pretty good but it's been years since I played, but the last time a kid had one at school I picked it up and I could still play some gospel on it :smile2:

**** Added yeah someone had posted right before me and I missed it. Oh well always a day late and a dollar, sorry to be repetitious.

18. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've got a harmonica and banjo years ago for Christmas and just put them down.
    Got frustrated and never picked them up again. Got time now so I guess I should try again.
    Good luck.

19. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You use tongue blocking to get just one note. Block one or two holes with the tip of your tongue and get the sound from the one hole that is not blocked. Another method is to pout your lips like you are blowing a kiss and get a small stream of air into one hole.

20. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya im gettin the hang of it now, thanks all for givin me tips its comin together nicely