Harlingen, McCallen Area??

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by fishnfwl, Nov 10, 2008.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Any of you fellas from around the Harlingen, McCallen area by chance??? Or some where round about? Going to be traveling into the area late February early March and was just wondering if any of you fellas were in the area, in case a BOC brother wanted to stop and visit a fishing hole some where. Thanks
    R.

2. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Randy!
    I haven't been down there in about 20 years. I lived in Harlingen for a long time. I used to catfish under the loop 499 bridge & Ed Carey dr. and catch lots of channels up to 15lbs. I wouldn't eat them as that part of the river is south of a sewer plant but they were fun to catch. Another area you can try is the neighborhood called Treasure Hills that has a nice size pond and we used to catch some biguns outta there too. You can also catch lots of blue gill and sun fish at Pendelton Park right off of Morgan Blvd in Harlingen next to the small HEB grocery store there. man this is bringing back some memories. Heck if you're in the Harlingen you're about 30-45 minutes from South Padre Island. There's nothing like the ocean breeze in your face use live shrimp under the lights or glow in the dark shrimp tail lure throw them right out past the lights and work the lure kinda like you would for bass and you just might get your self a nice speckled trout. Good luck and post a picture if you can.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thanks Marcos, just going to be headed through the area, this late Feb, early March. Thought I would check and see if any of y'all were in the area, may have to lay over a day if I fly ( cheaper flight) May just take a road trip also, still not 100% on which. anyway thanks for the info.......