Harlan Res.

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Big Vic, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Only got to go one time last year, would like to go more this year. Anyone hear anything good or bad for this year ? Should be some good fishing if you can stay out of the small trees along the bank,should be lots of shad to. Should be good along the trees as well :smile2: :cool2:

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Heck Vic! Let's give it a shot this spring. haven't been to Harlan for awhile. You can meet me in Hastings and I can supply the trip to Harlan, if your up to it. Prarie Dog Cove and a few other coves should be a good bet for the cats. Maybe try the Alma, Ne. side by the bridge for cats too. Heard that's a hotspot during the summer!!:wink:

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds good to me Mark :smile2: Will have to wait and kinda see how the money thing is going but thats always the case for me I guess !! I would think that there would be some good crappie fishin to !! Come ice out time :smile2::cool2:

4. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I hear reservoirs are are great for hooking into some big cats, you guys have any suggestions for good reservoirs near omaha area that can be fished from shore? I wouldn't mind trying one or two out this year!

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I've heard Zorinsky lake in the metro Omaha area is an untapped resource for catfish. Our catfish club has a tournament there and it might be a hot lake to try for catfish this spring or summer. Give it a try!!

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I live a stones throw away from Omaha, literally. If I hear of a contest at Zorinksy, Ill be sure to chime in and let you all know. As far as Harlan is concerned, Id love to get back out there this year. I went out there last spring for the first time, and the locals told me that the lake had risen 17 feet since last year.

Yup, not a typo, 17 feet.

I had an awesome time out there. I caught my first wiper out there, some large mouth bass, alot of carp, and unfortuantley no catfish.

Hunters Cove, campsite 101 is truly lakeside and has a spectacular view of the dam and the entire lake. If I get up that way Vic, Ill let you know and you can help me catch some cats!!!

Attached Files:

7. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds good to me Just give me a buzz and we can see what happens. Should be some good fishing this year. Hope they dont let Kansas have all the water !!! :smile2:

8. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

Yeah I think harlan was at a record high last year...I got out there twice last year and most of the gates were shut and water level was still knee high....I hadn't heard 17 feet but I'll go with that...

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I had a hard time believeing any lake in Nebraska raising 17 feet, but it was my first time there. And where we camped and fished from, there were near full grown trees sticking out out of the water. Just the tops mind you, but alot of trees just the same. I know those trees provided some great habitat for the fish I was catching that weekend.

Attached Files:

10. newestcathunter

newestcathunter New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Omaha is pretty much my stomping ground. Zorinsky and Wehrspan (Chalco) both have cats in them. I've heard of Blue's being caught out of Wehrspan though I've never caught one from there. They are very strict about making you leave at sundown at Wehrspan.

I actually caught my biggest cat out of Zorinsky.... correction my daughter caught the biggest cat. I didn't own a scale at the time but I know it weighed more than my bowling ball (16lbs). I have a picture of my friend holding it next to my daughter on my cell phone. (it was a little too big for her to handle) She is 10yrs old and about 4' tall, the fish goes from her shoulder to her ankle in the picture!

Actually caught two that night, the other was also a large one, approximately 6-8lbs, both were channels. Took our pictures with the cell phone and let them go.

That being said, I've fished there probably 100 times and that was by far the best night as far as big fish. A normal night usually consist of catching anywhere from 1-10 1-3lb fish. Rarely have I gotten skunked out there.

11. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Welcome to the BOC newestcathunter!

I havent fished Zorinsky much. Mostly cause I get skunked every time I go there. When Wherspan first opened up, I fished the heck out of that place. But I practiced catch and release. And youre right, they are very strict about leaving at sundown.

I frequent Walnut Creek and Two Rivers. Walnut has cats and Two Rivers has too many! Standing Bear has produced good results as well. I like to catch trout out there in late October.

12. newestcathunter

State:
    Nebraska
    Thank you. I have fished walnut creek a few times but have yet to figure it out. Ive been fishing in tree lines 25ft down in the middle of the lake and still only catch blue gill!

I've seen a lot of people catching bass out of it though. I used to fish two rivers when I was a kid, did the trout lake thing. Never had any real sucess in any of the other lakes or the river though.

I started fishing standing bear, I live within a five minute walk of standing bear and have spent many days and many nights there. I have only caught blue gill and bull head for the most part. Caught an occasional bass in there as well. I have never tried to fish the trout from there, kinda burned out on trout from the million trips to two rivers when I was a kid I guess.

13. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If I remember correctly the rule is that they close the park up at 10:00 pm. If that has changed to sunset someone please post a confirmation. I met someone who snuck in late at night and the cops were called out. The cop wanted to let him go with a stern warning but the park gestapo asserted that he be charged with tresspassing so the cop ticketed him.

14. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Has anyone been to Harlan lately ? Are there any shad on the banks ??

15. newestcathunter

State:
    Nebraska
    I've been there a million times and am asked to leave at sundown everytime. They are a little lax with the policy. They come around with a loud speaker and tell you to pack up right about sundown.

They come back about twenty minutes later and close up the gates. It is usually close to ten by the time the gates are locked. The first time there I didn't rush to get everything packed up and got to my car around 9:45 to find the gate already closed and what loked to be locked up.

The game and park person had closed the fence, wrapped the chain around it and put the pad lock on it, but did not actually lock the pad lock.

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    If most of the good people here from the BOC had seen what our "unauthorized" people do to our lakes during after hours, they would have it locked up too. The true anglers that go out there after hours for fishing purposes, have no problem.

Its when they catch "people" out there drinking, doing drugs, whatever that is illegal, Im ok with. When Wherspan was built, it was built with that in mind. "Keep that those that destroy out, and the people that dont, in." The powers that be just havent let us (those that dont destroy) in at late night. Although, Ive been pro-active on opening up some ovenight fishing, with no luck, as of yet.
    It was built long after other parks, and thats why it has gates that close early and people patrolling it when its time to be closed. Just like Walnut Creek. (One of the best kept secrets about catching good fish!)
    You and I arent the reason that park is closed, or the reason its so strict. Its others that have spoiled our natural resource long before we had a chance to enjoy it.:cool2: