Hargus Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cornhusker, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I haven't been doing much fishing for a couple of years and have lost touch with what is going on.

I would guess those cats in Hargus should be up in that 5# range by now.

Did anybody fish Hargus last year and how did you do?

Thanks
    Corn

2. justfishn

justfishn New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have heard some good reports the last couple of years but i have failed to find the good holes.chicken liver near the damm has been my only success with all being in the 1-2 pound range.

3. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    justfishn, I found Hargus very difficult to fish. Unless they have done something major the grass and weeds prevents fishing from the bank most of the way around the lake.

I do have a boat so I could get just outside the moss/weeds and then it was still kind of hard to fish. The cats would just pick at the bait or if I used a sinker it would pull the bait down into the grass on the bottom and the cats wouldn't work to get to it. Hargus was probably the biggest reason I started using a spinning outfit, a rod with a soft (fast) tip and circle hooks. Now I just throw it out and it goes down a ways into the moss but is not totally hidden. The soft rod tip seems to help in not spooking them when they are playing with the bait. The circle hook lets just lean back, watch the rod tip twitch away and when they do finally take a mouthful and bend the rod over they are hooked.

I have no idea where you might try fishing but I have seen lanterns from bank fishermen at the far end of the dam. If you look straight down the boat ramp you are looking up a main supply stream into hargus. You can drive over to that bank. It is in a picnic/camping area. If you stay along the right hand shore, looking from the boat ramp, about 1/3 of the way to the point the water gets deep next to the bank and weeds aren't there. I have caught in that area. Some friends have said they caught on the point where the creek meets the main lake. You can walk to it.

Hargus is a pretty small lake for all the activity that goes on there.

Good Luck.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Darryl you may not know me, but I have heard a lot about you from one of my fishin partners, TSpergin.

I hope your back is doing better and I would love to take you out in my boat on the Muskingum at McConnellsville. I have a feeling you, me, Tony, Jack, Rollo and some others would get along well.

I hope I am talking to the right fella or my face will be turning bright crimson.... Oh well, I am a car dealer, I have embarrassed myself before.... :wink:

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Well Shawn I'm gonna help ya out here.

If that stuff TSpergin was telling you was so good you wondered if it was true, YES SIR, I am the man

If that stuff TSpergin was telling you was NOT so good, sorry, you must have the wrong guy. LOL

Whichever, it is very nice of you to offer the boat ride. Thank You

Right now it is a bit hard to predict what might be coming up this summer. I thought things were coming along pretty good. Got the house and pole barn nearly finished for one son and most of the wifes cupboards, flooring, painting and so on. Looked like open road ahead.

Last Sunday the 2nd son talked to me about moving a wall, a couple doors and some re-wiring in his basement. Then the 3rd son started talking about this being a good time to buy a house and we all know that will mean some work. So I am not sure about anything right now. Let's see what the summer brings.

6. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    hargus is like right around the corner for me its really about 10 mins away and i have a couple places to go out there but only from my boat i havent found any big fish but the dam and the main channel there by the bait shop and the docks is really good we lost something really big right there last year during a tourney. well let me no maybe we can go out sometime and catch the dinks and try to find some nice fish in there to