Hardy/Croton Ponds

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by RiverKat, Feb 21, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Any of you guys ever fish Croton or Hardy ponds for cats? I know the DNR planted alot of Channel cats in Hardy back in the early 80's. Once in a while you hear of someone catching one on accident. My Dad has caught 1 cat on each pond in the last 5 years. Both were LARGE channel cats.15lbs and 13lbs. Both were caught trolling a silver and black shad rap at night for walleyes.Sure seems like there should be some real monsters there. Maybe the best shot for a state record channel cat besides Muskegon lake. Not easy to find them in reservoirs. I tried a few times last spring on Hardy pond with cut bait.Kept catching pike , no cats.

2. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    i've never fished the ponds for cats, but a guy i used to work with fished cat tournaments there. said his personam best was around 18 lbs. i think that one came from croton.

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Cat tournements on the ponds huh? I would like to know if they still are having those. I know they have alot of bass tourneys out there. That would be something to look into. Know of any other cat tournements in the area?

4. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    they have them on muskegon lake, lake macatawa, and on the grand river every year. i havent fished in them myself, cuz i dont have a boat, but im working on that.

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I fish a tournement on the Grand every year that is put on by Champs Bar in Coopersville. There are usuall around 200 or so people in it.The tourney starts on a Friday at mid-night and weigh in is at noon the next day.Usually takes place the 2nd weekend in July. Only $10.00 to enter. I've heard that a bar in Ada runs a similar contest.

6. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    RiverCat if that is the way it is and this competition is on for the 2nd week of july I for one will be there! let me now the final rules!!

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay my freind let me now

8. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hear Kitty,

I will let you know about the date when I find out. You can fish anywhere in the state as long as you are back to Coopersville by noon the next day to weigh in. They pay ten places with 1st getting around $250.00, 10th getting $10.00. You also get a hat. The past 5 years 1st-4th place have all been Flatheads in the 25-20lb range. 3rd-10th Channel cats 15+-10lbs.