Hardwood flooring

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ryang, Jan 24, 2009.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok here is my dilema. My wife and I want to get some hardwood flooring for the downstairs of our house. We saw some at lowes that was great price (.79 sq ft) but would need to get the stuff you put under it. We were going to buy some Pergo (it was 1.50 sq ft) and either way it would cost us about $1500.

Ok now for the question, with the cheap stuff if you get the better underflooring will it last longer or will should we just get the cheaper pad. I told my wife that with the age of our boys that the cheaper stuff would probably be the best stuff to get since it is more likely to get scratched and we could get the better stuff after they move out.

So is the cheap stuff decent or should we wait to get the better stuff and spend about 1000 more?

By the way the cheap stuff has a 15 year warrenty and the Pergo has 20 or 25 I forget.

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We put some in our house and found it at a place that was going out of business...it's the kind you pop together but it was still guaranteed for many years through the company that makes it.

Imma tell John be sure and get hold of ya cuz we looked at lots of stuff and this flooring has been great, we love it. It's a lot tougher than you'd think too.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    My BIL just redid his dining room & livingroom w/the dtuff from Lowes, and it's been 3 yrs, still looks good, even w/the kids running around everywhere...

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,I bought the kind youre talking about,It has a thin blue foam underlayment under it,It helps insulate the floor from noise some[squeaks etc.] its pretty simple ,just a pain for the first few coarses,It wanted to slide around till I got enough of it down for the weight factor to hold it in place. As far as durabuility? Ours has held up in my 12 yr olds room for a year so far.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Here is what we are thinking of getting

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...gory=Surface+Source&N=4294959358+6+4294966211

Im not sure if it has that blue undercoating, it doesnt look like there is any undercoating thats why I was thinking of getting the rolls of the thick (better) undercoating so that it would last longer

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I laid ALLOC in our place. It had the foam pad Richard mentioned and has held up great. No complaints what so ever. It's easier if you use a 12'' chop saw to cut it, or you'll have to flip it over. That is unless you have a sliding chop saw. You'll need a laminate blade also. I quickly learned to snap the end and hold up slightly on other end and the sides snap together alot easier. Good luck and a broom & swiffer is all you'll ever need to care for it.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I put in 400 sq ft of the pergo prseto in salem oak last year, really like it. Sounds like you have alot more area to do though. I'd go with the cheap stuff, probably won't notice any difference. Good luck. The only thing I don't like about it is my darn bassett hound walking around on it all hours of the night, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...lol I am considering taping kids socks on her feet...:smile2:

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    About a 1000 sq ft, mainly due to the kids tearing it up and the dog is why I want to put the cheaper stuff on there

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    It will holdup, my niece rides her scooter on theirs.....

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My wife likes it but we have lots of sand.. Will it hold up to sand getting tracked on it,,, or will it scrach???

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    What John did with ours was make a "walk in" area in front of the door where we keep a jute mat to the side to kick our shoes there at door if we need to. It's made of the same material but looks like green and beige marble. Has worked well for us. Has saved a lot of dirt and such being tracked on the floors and we keep ours swept up pretty good. I have not seen any scratches yet due to sand, dirt, etc...and when I sweep I notice some sandy accumulations sometimes. We had always had carpet. I found out quick that floors get a lot dirtier than they look to be after we got this flooring, and we sweep mostly everyday or catch it the next day if we happen to get busy and miss a day. it's really easy to clean though, and quick to clean up, so it's worth it! and ours is a lighter wood, it makes the rooms look bigger and brighter.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    The best thing to use under it is regular ol' felt paper betteer then that blue crap. I put pergo in the kitchen if you can afford it at regular price its great . I put some cherry cheap stuff in the livinging room and used that blue foam junk and after weight and time the seems are cracking due to too much movement when walked on ( like a sponge ) . I did the bedroom in some stuff i got off craigslist and after watching a floor special on d.i.y. i used felt paper it is what they did on there and works great . Im going to do the livingroom the same way .

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,The flooring you are showing me in the link is glued down,The stuff I used was the"floating floor" type. It needs no nailing,glueing ,It just floats on the blue underlayment.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ill have to check that out I dont want the glued down type

15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Ours is also the floating type.

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Put the floating in my kitchen 3-4 yrs ago. Light wood. I have the blue under layment under it and know problems so far. It does need swept daily. With the light shining across it you can see everything.