Hardmouth! Any good ways to break him of it?

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by iowacatter, Nov 19, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a question for anyone who has a good answer:

My hunting partner has a GSP pup, in his first yr. of hunting, trouble is his hard mouth. I mean he will actually chew them up, if you give him a chance!

He is very interested in the retrieve and has been doing ok at it. I dont know if he got spurred once or what, but lately he has been mouthin' them BAD!!

Anyone who knows a proven method of breaking him of this, without breaking his drive to retreive, please chime in.

Thanks

2. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    take a couple of birds and freeze them solid make him hold them after a while the dogs teeth will hurt from biting to hard on the frozen bird and will carry them just as light as can be after severl sessions they wont chew any more. has worked on all of our hardmouthers

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Matt, Thanks for the idea, I will pass that along!

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is how we did ours. Freeze a few birds and let them find out there hard.
    That or some people have used frozen tennis balls also.
    Pete

5. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Pete,
    Like I said, he's a good pup and he wants to retreive, he just doesnt do it gently, lol

Thanks Again!

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Don't take this as advice but I knew a man years ago that raised championship pointers in NC and he used a thick rubber band with floor tacks in it.Wrapped it around a bird and it didn't take many lessons to cure the problem.I do NOT advocate this idea because the dog might swallow a loose tack,however something prickly wrapped around the bird should work.What that would be you will have to figure out,if the frozen bird dosen't work.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The frozen bird method works quite well provided it is cold enough outside to keep the bird frozen and hard. Another alternative is to hot glue a bunch of phesant feathers to a chunk of black iron pipe and play fetch or dead bird.

8. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    To expand on Jims idea above there are plenty of products available for training a softer mouth that follow the same line but are safer for the dog. You can use a live bird and wrap the bird with the spiked training device and it will train it to have a softer mouth. I also own a german shorthair and they are a very loving dogs so I have developed a different method. They have a strong urge to please there master and I use this to my advantage. First you must have trained your dog to fetch by the force retreive method. If you have not done this you should do it anyway or you will someday regret it and it will be when you need them to fetch the most. My process is simple you command fetch with your bare hand in front of the dog immediatley followed by hold. Your dog will not want to hurt you and if it does look into another dog. By not wanting to hurt you it will have a softer hold on your hand repeat this until the dog is providing the proper amount of pressure on your hand. Usually I have to force them to add alittle more pressure the first few times because they are not putting enough pressure on my hand. Next after I am happy with what they have learned I move to live pigeons and have them hold a live bird in their mouth and then release it to me on command. I have some pictures of my shorthair holding a live bird in its mouth and both of them looking at the camera. It is quite a sight! Anyway this method works for me quite well but I have also heard of the other two methods mentioned earlier. Your friend just needs to find something he is comfortable with and repeat, repeat, repeat until the dog has perfected it. Good luck!

9. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I do alot of waterfowl hunting, and trained several retiviers, the frozen bird works well and also allows the dog to get use to having feathers in thier mouth. I now have a retirver that had a real hard mouth even with frozen birds, There are many retriver dummies to help you get a soft mouth i use the one hard plastic with square top nubbs which is abrasive to the dogs mouth, I also use a 3" dia pvc about 12" long it is hard and the retriver will quickely get a soft mouth. but most of all when the dog does a retrive with a soft mouth positive reinforcement, i found the pvc has worked best so far good luck

10. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I use the end of a "round brush", ask wife for hers. The bristles will keep him from biting hard. I used it for my lab this year.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    U beat me to it. We had to use this on both of my uncles labs so they would not demolish dove.

12. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    We train labs for hunt test and hunting and I use 2 things the first is a thick dry cotton glove because the tighter they grip it the drier the mouth gets and after a few times they learn to hold with out gripping hard and if this don't work I resort to the round brush with nylon bristles. Hope this helps good luck!!