Hardest instrument to learn

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by blindfly69, Jun 26, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ....im just having a late night bored moment.....and im thinkin the bagpipes would be the hardest instrument to learn..........what do you think? lol

2. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I can tell tell ya the drum's ain't the easiest to learn.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Any, I do good to get a tune out of a radio.

4. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    how about a sitar?? looks pretty crazy

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think horns are very hard to play. I've been playing music for 40 years and I never could get a horn to work. I've tried Sax, Trumpet, and Flute and they all sound like buffalo poots! Sitar is hard also but the hardest part is learning all the tunings a sitar uses. It's like learning several different languages at once.

6. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    it probably all depends on your physical characteristics or wether you were brought up into it. im guessing one of the more difficult instruments to learn would be the harp, and maybe some of the more complex percussion like those big xylophones where you hold four sticks - two in each hand. good question...

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    This is going to sound cheesy but what about your Voice. Although you can emulate alot with it if its not used properly you dont get your point across. I sing (well used to) and for me just getting the nerve to go up and sing took alot.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I can tell you from experience that learning to play the bagpipes is not easy.You begin with a starter instrument called a "chanter". It's a small wooden instrument that resembles an oboe, with a similar double reed. This teaches you the mouth technique and fingerings. After that, you move on to the bagpipes themselves. I never got past the chanter myself!!! I'll have to agree on the harp too. I've never tried that, but have heard it is quite difficult also. And the drums, well, John knows what he's talking about I'm sure. I had a few short drum lessons back in the day. It's hard. I've played the piano for 34 years, so that comes easily to me, as does singing. Never tried a sitar.... LOL

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm looking at your avatar(the shades) and can't imagine you with a lack of nerve...:lol:

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    When I was in High School I was very shy now I just dont care what people think of me LOL

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know that feeling... I ain't too sure I'm not still shy.... a couple of bricks..:lol:

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    The banjo was a personal conquest of mine. I struggled for months trying to learn those little "rolls" but once I got it I was pleased as punch! But yeah, the bagpipes sound pretty rough too! Anything worth doing is worth the extra effort! Just keep with it and you'll walk away a lil' better every time.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Oboe and basoon...

The double reed instruments are supposedly the hardest to learn. It takes forever to get more than a squak out of them. Personally I wouldn't be able to play a trumpet or any of the higher end brass. I spent too many years developing the lip for the tuba.

After being in band and choir for several years I can say that going up in front of a group of people and performing is nervewracking no matter what instrument you are using.

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    What about the accordian? I can play the "air" guitar pretty good. I'm learning to play the "air" bagpipes but I can't quite get that bag to stay under my arm.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The only instruments that I ever learned to play was a "Brier Leaf" to call a Turkey and a "Gun Barrel" or "Cow Horn"to call a hound.I cain;t even do that now.peewee-williams

16. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Being used to zebco's, the old phluger's, shakespears, etc, I think the hardest for me is an open face spinning reel.