Hardcore/Metal/Metalcore Music

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Monsterkat11, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    any one else here into hardcore/metal/metalcore?

for the rest of you aka "that screaming crap" :rolleyes:

and i HIGHLY DOUBT this one, but anyone else on here straight edge?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I really like the group the "Rotten Kidneys".

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Monster, Im not sure if that counts but Im a "closet" Punk rocker, from back in the day, Ministry, The Minutemen, Pistols, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Skinny Puppy etc.

Drive my wife nuts when Im playin that stuff and you should see the see the looks when Im driving the Grand Marqius, bald headed and 40, jamming the XM Radio:eek: :glare:
    I think I was in 1 or 2 too many slam dancing pits, long before the "Mosh" term was ever coined.....;)

Salmonid

4. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah, actually the straight edge lifestyle was origionated by Ian Mckay (minor threat) with a song called "straight edge" and slam dancing has basically evolved into "hardcore dancing" its alot diffrent but you can kinda tell it came from it.

5. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

State:
    Henderson,KY
    I just went to a concert in Nashville with Bleeding through, Everytime I Die, Between the Buried and Me, and Haste the Day. So I guess you could say I listen to something like that. :D I probably listin to stuff you wouldn't listen to.

6. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    actually bleeding through and haste the day are some of my favorite bands. i'm actually in a band that plays music along those lines :)

7. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Being a c/w musician,I did listen to some of the 'hair band's' of the 1980's(do they count?) I just picked-up Jackyl's debut CD from that era,heard the song Lumberjack for the first time.It's awesome!

8. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Do You Consider Korn, Rob Zombie, System Of A Down, Mudvayne, Just To Name A Few, Hard Enough? Or Are You Talking Death Metal Bands?

9. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Its hard enough, but i'm not a huge fan of mainstream stuff. I think the most mainstream bands i listen to that are metal would be:
    As I Lay Dying
    Killswitch Engage
    A Dozen Furies (they won that battle to ozzfest show on mtv)

10. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    P.S. Don't get me wrong, i am VERY open minded when it comes to music, as a matter of fact, i was just listening to simon and garfunkel.

i just wanted to open this thread to see if there was any other people in here involved in their homes hardcore scene and the slight chance of anyone on here being straight edge :)

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am more into the "Good Bands" like, Black Sabbath, Motly Crue, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Rush, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top and the list goes on. I don't care for todays generic version of Metel, myself, But that is why there are so many different kinds out there.

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Da%$ JW for a bass fisherman you got good taste in music! LOL

13. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I'm pretty big into hardcore/metal and what not. I would have to say NOWAY to the straightedge thing. It's just a fad. An annoying one at that. No offense to you of course. But, I also like the older metal, like metallica, Dio, Maiden....

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Slam dancing?! havent heard that term in a while! well after reading all the post's i see im not the only freak on here:D i get into all kinds of music but metal is my favorite. i still like all the older stuff (sabbath, floyd, maiden, metallica, etc) but i kept progressing over the years. im a big fan of the european metal scene these days, american metal is nothing but crap anymore. too trendy, just like rap! there are a few exceptions though (bleeding through, killswitch engage, Exodus, shadows fall, and the immortal Slayer). bands im currently listening to in the truck are Old mans child, Dimmu Borgir, In-Flames, Arch Enemy, Deicide, Exodus, Mercyful Fate, Slayer etc. most of the better metal bands these days are on either nuclearblast.com, or centurymedia.com. check 'em out, can download lots of good tunes. punk was ok back in "tha day" but i never really got into it like my freinds did. when it fused with metal is when the really good stuff started coming out! anyone remember S.O.D.?

15. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Hummm heavy metal,Gold is heavier than lead,but is a little pricey for sinkers.
    Back in the day about the heaviest music out was Sabbath,Zeppelin,Rush,Maiden, Those were the days!
    I havent kept up on todays sound much.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like where "Straight Edge" came from & the idea behind it, but at the end of my ealy 20's people were becoming "Straight Edge" just because others were. (Yes a fad like someone else pointed out). I have to say I stand behind the whole idea of "Straight Edge" (Dont Smoke, Dont Do Drugs, No PreMartial Sex). I guess the people I hung out with were sort of Straight Edge before Straight Edge were cool. I remember we would listen to Body Count (Ice T's Heavy Metal Bank) to Hendrix and Guns N Roses to CCR. In fact I still am like that I guess (w/ out the whole Body Count thing :rolleyes: ) Now after high school came college & I'm not sure I know anyone who didnt drink during college. ;)

I remeber one night when Flathunter & I sat & listen to classic country, I mean the 50's & 60's country that make syou cry one night while cattin & had a blast.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, I like that stuff too. Like Merle Haggard, Jim Reeves, Jim Ed Brown, Web Peirce, Ray Price, George Jones and so on. all great music.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fresh Cut Bait, Old Classic Country Music & Passing Gas..... Sounds Like A Good Night Of Catfishing To Me!

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive still a got a few slayer and pantera songs on my computer. But more here lately its laid back stuff like Nirvana, grateful dead, and johnny cash. What about Les Claypool and Primus, some great weird music. Also gotta love those old country crooners and I like a little bluegrass picking from time to time.

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    nope not me cant stand that stuff. the old country is fine some of the light jazz is fine classical is fine metal and that stuff forget it not for me.