Hard water stains

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Feb 19, 2009.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    How can I get the gard water stains off and it not cost me an arm and leg? I have a new to me 1986 Ranger 350v. The previous owner just never did any up keep on it to keep it clean. Any help and or tips to make this as easy as possible would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Look at some of the Meguiars marine stuff, I worked with a guy that used it on his Ranger and his boat looks brand new all the time and I use it on the RV and it works great. I would try the #49 Oxidation Remover.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Hey Dan I was going to talk to you about the paint. Is there something that I can get in a rattle can (automotive) with some fairly heavy flake? I also heard that you can use vinager and water wich makes since.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    CLR and a scoth brite pad will take any mineral deposit off:wink:

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    But will the scotchbrite pad harm the gel coat? I don't want to have to use a buffer when I get the stuff off just hand polish.

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    At Wal-Mart.....look for Purple Power. It has an acid in it that takes everything off right down to the paint. Takes paint off too if you leave it on too long. Spray it on. Give it about a minute. Scrub on it a little. Rinse it off Quick.
    Works great for me. I use it just before doing a fresh wax job. Find it over by automotive and camper chemical cleaners.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Word to the wise stay away from things that are not 100% paint safe. Might work now but if you ever have to repair anything then you are going to pay out the @SS for it in the extra time and supplys to fix the damage. I see it a lot when painting vehicles.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They make a ScotchBrite pad that is safe for non-stick cookware. If you're going to use one at all, that would be it.

Anything you're gonna try, crawl under the boat and test drive it on a patch of gelcoat that won't show, just in case there is damage.